o26 or o36

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeltree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
my father in laws 034 is n its last leg. he is looking very hardat the o26 and 036 for weight and size. wants another 10 year saw. i told him i would ask you guys for your oppin.

thanks

When using the 034 as a baseline, does he want more power or less weight?
Both are good saws. Find one without the fixed jet carb though. make sure it has both high and low speed adjustments. Many Stihls with fixed jet carbs run OK, but it isn't worth the hassle if you need to adjust it.

OR he can spend a couple hundred completely refurbishing the old 034. Piston, rings, carb kit, mounts and a new bar/chain/sprocket will make most worn out old Stihls run like a new one.

Just from the carb problems associated with the 260 or 026 that have surface in the recent past here, I'd say go 360/ 036.

I have one. A 036 pro. I'd say if you were going to have only one saw, that's the one to get.

P.S. I don't think any other new Stihl saw besides the 260/026 has a fixed jet.

Tony,

Running the 2152, do you notice a marked difference over the
2149? Just curious, I know the machines are too new to have a
whole lot of press on them either way. It sure seems like a nice
step up in power. Does the high speed still have a screw to mess
with?

If you decide to go with the 036 let me know. I have a near new 036 Pro that I am looking to sell. As of last weekend it had about 5 hours on it. I may put a few more on it soon. I just do not need this saw. I was cutting last weekend with my 3120XP then picked up the 036 to cut some smaller wood. Wow what a difference. I feel like he-man running the 36. They are d"m nice saws.

Bill

if hes cutting firewood ,i believe he mite like the 036 better in the long run.ihave 7 saws but ifi had to get by with one,on firewood it would be the036.it pretty well covers all the bases for me.
big or small tree.UNLESS hes getting to be pretty aged ,with all the junk that goes with that.in that case, he mite need the 026 in the long run.he aint gonna get any stronger,and he will will continue to experience more and more loss from age.
believe me younguns its coming. im fightin it ever step.
but its coming.just enjoy doing ,while u can. i do.:)

In my opinion the 036 is a GREAT fire wood saw. plenty of power and light enough that it won't kill you to stand there and block with it for a few hours:angel:

Back