Oak Blight on Black Oak?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Multifaceted

Firewood Hoarder, Axe Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trying to figure out what is killing my red oaks, have had several standing dead since we bought our property, but I've never seen any signs of a problem on a living one until recently. I noticed some troubling signs on a large black oak that is just north of a dead northern red oak, as within the drip edge. The northern red showed no signs of being ill that I recall, it just didn't sprout any leaves last spring and has since stood barren. This black oak has been dropping its leaves recently here and there, not unusual, but they've been floppy and flimsy. Today I looked up into the canopy and noticed that all of the leaves look that way. I took out my binoculars to get a good loop above and see some yellowing of the leaves.... which leads me to believe that it's oak blight or wilt fungus.

Here is what I was seeing above, these are the best photos I could get using my smartphone and binoculars:
XHu7E8O.jpg

liAaimm.jpg

The bark doesn't show any signs of any odd or dark patchiness on the black oak and seems healthy from below:
AHZLsSs.jpg

K1T4680.jpg

Unlike the bark of the northern red oak just in front of it that is already dead:
P4Cv6iN.jpg

We have about 2.5 acres, mostly wooded. I know there isn't much that can be done, but if it isn't the blight, then perhaps it can be treated? We're already suffering huge losses with the ash trees, it just sucks to see this happen to my red oaks. White oak and burr oaks seem to be doing OK. We also have many hickory trees and the black cherry thrives here... almost to a point that it's weedy.. Any advice or guidance is appreciated!

If it’s Oak Wilt it will spread through root grafts. Hard to control in a wooded area. Solitary Red Oaks can be treated with a systemic fungicide to prevent Oak Wilt but it will not cure trees already infected or that are being infected from root grafts. Yard trees can be trenched to prevent spread from neighboring trees.
Not looking forward to getting it here. Like you said, we already are loosing the Ash. Horrible to loose our great oaks too.

Thanks for the response. That's what I've been suspecting, and reading while trying to research the pathogen. It seems like every one of the red oaks that are within the drip edge get it, like dominoes... I'm going to start collecting acorns this autumn and start planing them away from the other reds where the ash have died, hopefully that'll help. Maybe it won't. Not really sure what to do, the white oaks, burr oaks, and chestnut oaks all seem to be doing just fine. Of course, I say that now...

Latest posts

Back