Oak Bushes...Please Help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowadrifter

Reaction score
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Hello All. I have a property located in west central Wisconsin (LaCrosse area) littered with Oaks in a bush form (see pics). I want them to be trees. Do i just pick out the straight(est) one and cut the others at ground level? Something else? What time of year should I do this type of cutting? Any guidane would be much appreciated. Cordially. IowaDrifter

Those look like second growth / regrowth trees from someone cutting down volunteer saplings, but not killing the stumps. Multiple codominant stems don't make for a very pretty, structurally sound oak tree.

Yes, pick the best stem and cut the others. Probably regrowth from old cuttings. Dormant season is recommended for cutting on Oaks to lessen the spread of Oak wilt, a fungal disease you don't want.

Yes....Pick the straightest and cut the others off. You can cut any time between Sept-March and be safe to avoid oak wilt.

If there are no straight trees, wait until late fall (or any time through early spring) and cut them all off at ground level. If you protect them from the deer, they will be a few feet tall within one year. One those regenerated trees you might get one, you might get a few...again cut back to the straightest.

I agree these are second (or 3rd, 4th, maybe 5th or 6th...) growth. If there is no bigger stump below, it is probably the deer (aka woods rats) that have kept them down.

How close is the power line in the first (bur oak) picture? You don't want the base of that tree within 15'-20' of the that line...

Thank you all for the input!
ATH, those are double curcuit power lines on large lattice towers and are 40 yards away so all is GTG there. Cordially. Iowadrifter

Latest posts

Back