oak deck experiment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should add that I did dilute oil with some old gas. Probably 1/2 gallon gas to 3 gallons oil....Don't remember just dumped in until it looked good.

I used waste oil on this trailer deck, Ash from sawmill, not dry. The oil sucked in pretty good. Difference between the wet and dry is 1 week.View attachment 884215 Haven't looked at after some snow on it. I rolled on with paint roller, pretty liberally. Not slippery after a week or so.

I should add that I did dilute oil with some old gas. Probably 1/2 gallon gas to 3 gallons oil....Don't remember just dumped in until it looked good.

Interesting. And what does that do? Help it evaporate faster? Sink into the wood better?

I'm going to do another experiment at some point - another little walkway and do part of it untreated, part treated with your oil/gas mix, part with some proper sealer, and maybe another part with something else. Just let it sit for years and see what happens. It will probably be part of my in-laws' walkway. It needs help anyway.

I recently milled up some oak and needed a little outdoor walkway for a project. I decided to use the fresh oak for it. 1" thick (well, closer to 7/8") and 5" wide.
The joists are 2"x6" oak.

I understand white oak is better for exterior use, but decided to give this a shot anyway. I think this is pin or bur oak. (I think bur is a white oak....??)

I am curious to see how long it lasts. I'm going to leave it untreated until it's dry, so next year I may add a preservative.

Sorry no pics yet - they are on the way!
Stain it then seal with Thompson's

Looking good 'stache. Did you get any nails lifting or cupping of the slats? Inch thick seems to be the go, I can't notice any warping that i'd care about.

Latest posts

Back