Oak down in front yard. Should I try milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it red oak? If so it's worth little to nothing.
2" slabs are gonna take 2 years to dry so that's a long time to recoup your investment.
For slabs figured wood is prized. Straight logs are better for dimensional lumber. No one wants a straight square slab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I agree and disagree. I started to say the market is stronger for odd shaped logs, especially for table and bar tops But benches and mantles do well straight, you can't sit on a bench with shorts with out scratching up your legs if it's odd shaped. This year is the year I was going to start selling my slabs, and making stuff. Then I got into mowing a couple lawns, and next thing you know I've got a lawn business. I did start milling and stacking my slabs 5 years ago so they would be air dried when I retired. But I have made some bench tops with green slabs that were just a couple weeks old. Just depends on the application and species. I've had more people ask for shop benches, like this one I made for my wife, out of a fir tree I took down for friends, than anything else. I just can't find anymore Fir trees big enough.
MbIiSjK.jpg

OkG9B2L.jpg

An oak tree fell in my front yard. I was going to buck it and use it for firewood, but look how straight and perfect this thing is. How crazy of an idea would it be to:
  1. Buy a chainsaw mill
  2. Buy a Stihl 661
  3. Cut some slabs
  4. Sell slabs (craigslist? somehow else?) to recoup costs of 1 & 2
  5. Rejoice in obtaining a free 661!
I don't intent to start a milling business or anything, but splitting it seems like a shame?

How much do you think I would would I be able to sell the wood for? It's 23' long, and around 20" in diameter at the top cut, and 32" at the base.

View attachment 658493

View attachment 658494

It seems it would be a shame to cut this beautiful long log into firewood.

You don't do woodwork yourself, but about sawing it up and having someone build some nice furniture, etc., and sell the rest for whatever price you can get?

Back