OAK FIRE WOOD PRICE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Logs around here go for $75 to $110 a cord delivered. Most of it is red or pin oak with a couple elm or basswood mixed in. Have seen split oak from $150-$300 a cord. There was a guy on CL who was selling it for $125 a cord delivered last fall and he sold his 40 cords in 2 days. I ran into him at a gas station and was bsing at the pump and told him he left a few thousand on the table. He didn't care as it was all free and was oak wilt wood he got when he bought his place and he just wanted to get rid of it.

Firewood was up to $300 a cord but the past few winters it wasn’t selling. My firewood guy knows I was in the bizz years ago. He lowers his price for me but I told him you work hard for the money and I pay him full price. His little kid helps too I give him $10 for ice cream. He has a new ford f450 dump truck. He must be doing ok. I pay $220 per cord.

I have to think hot weather makes firewood sell cheap. Wait untill it starts getting cold. Hold your price or raise it when the buyers start to shiver a little. We are working our butts off to build an inventory of fuel when it's hot outside. Maybe someone in a few months will appreciate that effort.

I live in Becker,MN and have 10 cords of red oak I want to sell.The cords are 16Wx24Lx4H.What is it selling for a cord?I was thinking $1,500.00 which would be $150.00 a cord.
I'd buy it all from you at that price.
It goes for about $300 - $350 a cord here. Split and delivered within 20 km.

Nothing about cutting firewood ever made a man rich......by the time you account for fuel, maintenance and sore back, you're just cutt'n for fun.

Futher south in VA i got $150 per cord, $400 for 4 cords, $500 for 6 cords " logs ".
Mostly Oak with some mix of Cherry , Maple and Hickory.
Those species here go for about $300-$350 a cord now (that's still $260/cord USD)
Log length hardwood firewood goes for $1100 CAD a 7 cord truck load here.
That's pretty standard price and never comes down.
If you find it here for $220/cord (CAD) or under, best assured you're picking it up yourself, no delivery.
And Ontario and Quebec have more hardwood than probably most of the US states all combined, so pricing has nothing to do with availability.
We also have the second largest oil reserves on the planet (only Saudi Arabia has more) but our gas prices are twice as high as the US.
My buddy pays about $2500 a heating season for fuel oil furnace.

Those species here go for about $300-$350 a cord now (that's still $260/cord USD)
Log length hardwood firewood goes for $1100 CAD a 7 cord truck load here.
That's pretty standard price and never comes down.
If you find it here for $220/cord (CAD) or under, best assured you're picking it up yourself, no delivery.
And Ontario and Quebec have more hardwood than probably most of the US states all combined, so pricing has nothing to do with availability.
We also have the second largest oil reserves on the planet (only Saudi Arabia has more) but our gas prices are twice as high as the US.
My buddy pays about $2500 a heating season for fuel oil furnace.

I've been trying to book a whitetail hunt in Canada and find that to be rather expensive also :)

I just split a truckload of red oak that I have been drying for seven months after buck cutting the rounds to stove length. I decided to let it air dry some more and then keep it all for myself to burn in my stove. Last year I sold it way too cheap.

When I really need to get rid of some wood during the summer I lower my prices drastically to $425 a cord for nice Oak. A typical load for a pickup is $250 which is about a 1/3 cord. Hauling and processing Oak is hard work. Am aiming for $800 a cord for Oak this year. Stove wood has always been high at $600 a cord. Thanks

When I really need to get rid of some wood during the summer I lower my prices drastically to $425 a cord for nice Oak. A typical load for a pickup is $250 which is about a 1/3 cord. Hauling and processing Oak is hard work. Am aiming for $800 a cord for Oak this year. Stove wood has always been high at $600 a cord. Thanks
Ted, I have never seen firewood of any kind sold for a price that high in my ten years on this forum. On the other hand, my pickup truck with a 6' bed holds two-thirds of a cord, packed tight. So, you must be throwing the logs on board in a random pile. Am I right? Or, are you using a truck with really small truck bed? Please advise.

Ted, I have never seen firewood of any kind sold for a price that high in my ten years on this forum. On the other hand, my pickup truck with a 6' bed holds two-thirds of a cord, packed tight. So, you must be throwing the logs on board in a random pile. Am I right? Or, are you using a truck with really small truck bed? Please advise.

I do oak for $250 a cord, so yeah, that price is insane. However, I consider an 8' truck bed, stacked and loaded level with the bedrails to be half a cord.

This is the price for 8’ long logs. You are also buying a 10-12 cord semi load at that price. The op has a misleading description of the wood he is trying to sell. That’s why I quoted in pre and post firewood prices.
In the OP's first post he said the wood is 16" wide by 24' long and 4' high, all Red Oak. In his second post he said it's all split stacked and dried. What's misleading about that? Sounds about as specific as you can get?

I do oak for $250 a cord, so yeah, that price is insane. However, I consider an 8' truck bed, stacked and loaded level with the bedrails to be half a cord.
Correct. I mound mine up, pack it tight, and sometimes include the side rails as shown in my avatar. It usually stacks to 2/3 cord or 85 cu ft. To deliver a full cord, I make two deliveries but don't load the truck quite as much. Usually that's about $260, depending on location. I mix ash, oak, elm, walnut, maple, mulberry, and locust. Nobody complains unless bugs show up later. That happens on rare occasion.

I have no problem selling at $300/cord & $175/half cord dumped, stacking is extra. Time of year really doesn't matter, same wood, same amount of work. I have expanded my wood business into some light grading, hauling, driveway stone and drainage in the off season to utilize my skidsteer, dump trailer and truck. It's working out better than the firewood. I think next year I will be dumping this corporate job and going out on my own again.

Will never understand why guys gives discounts for multiple cords. It takes the same amount of work and the wood sure won't rot in a year.

I was selling some really high quality wood for a cheap price locally as work was about to pick up and i was going to have no time for firewood. Guy wanted 20 face cord, asked a price, i took my price and multiplied it by 20, he said for that much i would have to get a discount, I said bud this is as cheap as i will ever sell firewood and it'll all be gone by the end of the month anyway. And it was.

I was selling some really high quality wood for a cheap price locally as work was about to pick up and i was going to have no time for firewood. Guy wanted 20 face cord, asked a price, i took my price and multiplied it by 20, he said for that much i would have to get a discount, I said bud this is as cheap as i will ever sell firewood and it'll all be gone by the end of the month anyway. And it was.
Hooray for DSW! I guess people think we are starving to death and willing to work for nothing. Those days are gone.

We sell by the trailer load only. We load the trailer off of a conveyor and just fill to the level of the boards each time. They can do the math if they want to "guess" at the quantity. If they buy multiple loads it is still the same price but I might pile a little extra on the trailer if I think it will get me a repeat customer. We also take mileage and dumping conditions into account when deciding if they get "extra".

I still sell "campfire" wood to a guy, two loads a year usually but they're tossed loads and I only go from the front of the truck box to just over the wheel openings. Charge him $40 and he's 3 miles away so I feel it's worth it. This last time I loaded the truck full and intended on telling him $60 bucks but he wasn't there, the kids were and had the $40 so oh well. It's still good stuff, elm, mulberry, ash, and some basswood that kind of stinks, but burns hot and starts easy. The thing about it though is I spend more time splitting the campfire wood into smaller pieces so in a sense I should be charging more but I do cut it to longer lengths so likely the same amount of time into it. Lets me get rid of some of the lesser desired stuff as well, the elm is elm that's gone a little downhill but still coals up and produces heat, but why not be picky. Although, being as far ahead as I am now I split 3 lengths of wood, no matter what species or quality it is. If it's under 17-18", goes in the stacks for the house, 18-22" stuff is for campfire wood, and if it's 24" or above it's for the garage. I still cut as much as I can around 17" length but don't put an effort into making everything that size, that and with me doing complete tree removals for people, if I decide to bring the wood home it's faster to just split it and figure it out then.

I did it as a business and you have to stay going. My neighbor called me an ANT I never stopped working. Sell 50 cords and replace it with 50 cords every year. My wood was seasoned for a year. It paid for the one ton truck I built. But when it became time to buy a skidder I found a corporate job. Today I wished I stayed in the woods I wasn’t rich but a lot healthier.
LOOKS LIKE IT FAT ASS.

Latest posts

Back