OAK FIRE WOOD PRICE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should change my picture I lost 100lbs since that pic was taken. That's a 6lb large mouth bass in my hand.

Ted, I have never seen firewood of any kind sold for a price that high in my ten years on this forum. On the other hand, my pickup truck with a 6' bed holds two-thirds of a cord, packed tight. So, you must be throwing the logs on board in a random pile. Am I right? Or, are you using a truck with really small truck bed? Please advise.

Yes I live and work in Southern California for now. I live in a small mountain range that goes up to about 12,000 feet. My home is at 6,000 feet. Los Angeles is 80 miles West and San Diego is 120 miles South. My community is considered a resort get a way. Since my helper started working for me he has wanted to expand in to a full time firewood retailer. So one day I start calling several vendors that I have done business with. One particular business on the coast that I have done a lot of work for called me the other day in response. Just a week ago he said he was considering raising prices at least a hundred a cord more. At the present time they sell Pine for $800 a cord. Their standard price picked up or delivered is $200 for 25 CF. He went on to tell me that most people pick up because they charge by the hour for delivery. So if a gate is not accessible then the price goes up. Oak is $400 for 25 CF. A 100 CF is not a cord. Most businesses are selling face cords only or 100 CF as a cord. This has bothered me since I have been trying to sell an honest 128 CF. This year I will be selling by the pick up or dump truck load which is 400 CF. If we have an actual winter this fall I can see prices easily going up 50% by December. Good solid wood here is difficult to find and difficult to access. One thing that many folks do not understand is how severe weather can be here. When it does snow the roads can be closed for several days then power outages can last for two days to two weeks. When the weather looks bad people do not ask or care what the price is for wood they need it period. At the current time I get $250 for a 100 CF of Pine and $450 for 100 CF of Oak. So possibly we have very high prices compared to most average communities. Thanks

Yes I live and work in Southern California for now. I live in a small mountain range that goes up to about 12,000 feet. My home is at 6,000 feet. Los Angeles is 80 miles West and San Diego is 120 miles South. My community is considered a resort get a way. Since my helper started working for me he has wanted to expand in to a full time firewood retailer. So one day I start calling several vendors that I have done business with. One particular business on the coast that I have done a lot of work for called me the other day in response. Just a week ago he said he was considering raising prices at least a hundred a cord more. At the present time they sell Pine for $800 a cord. Their standard price picked up or delivered is $200 for 25 CF. He went on to tell me that most people pick up because they charge by the hour for delivery. So if a gate is not accessible then the price goes up. Oak is $400 for 25 CF. A 100 CF is not a cord. Most businesses are selling face cords only or 100 CF as a cord. This has bothered me since I have been trying to sell an honest 128 CF. This year I will be selling by the pick up or dump truck load which is 400 CF. If we have an actual winter this fall I can see prices easily going up 50% by December. Good solid wood here is difficult to find and difficult to access. One thing that many folks do not understand is how severe weather can be here. When it does snow the roads can be closed for several days then power outages can last for two days to two weeks. When the weather looks bad people do not ask or care what the price is for wood they need it period. At the current time I get $250 for a 100 CF of Pine and $450 for 100 CF of Oak. So possibly we have very high prices compared to most average communities. Thanks

That is awesome, the more you can get to do a job the better !!

That is awesome, the more you can get to do a job the better !!

I am in total agreement choppers. Here in Southern Cal it seems that the prices should be much higher. Around the rest of the country it seems prices should be much higher too. Years ago I would advertise and deliver all over Southern Cal by the truck load. It was quite lucrative. It was not difficult to deliver 15 cords to San Diego one week then Newport Beach the next and so on. It was standard to make an another thousand for stacking. Now most communities are not realistic to go in because of business license requirements. Several years ago timber sales were available and viable. I am constantly searching for good sources as we speak. Once in a while like this year I have much more wood available then ever before. However last winter did not happen. I have been to most northern States and Canada so I do understand how winters are quite consistent which would explain why many businesses sell umteen cords of wood every year. So do most firewood sellers really struggle just to earn enough just to buy a few files to keep their chains cutting. Thanks

It sounds like the op does not have a truck to move it? Could explain the price.
Can't say one will ever be rich with firewood.....but I have bought a lot of freedom.

Best gym workout is in my wood pile. Keeps me in shape.

You could put free on a cord of seasoned pine around here and it would most likely rot before someone took it. The "pine will burn your house down" myth runs wild around here. Oak goes for 200 or so a cord split and delivered.

Pine wood around here is free or almost free. I burned pine all last winter in my OWB, temps were lower and I burned more but it worked. More creosote but it was not seasoned for long. Local firewood guy around here sells "seasoned" log length" for $1000 a load or green, for $850. I have been cutting and splitting oak tops that were down over a year and they are still as wet as the day they came down. I don't think he will find people who will think log length is "seasoned" but good luck to him. I just saw an ad on CL for $175 per cord green delivered, darn good price.

I do oak for $250 a cord, so yeah, that price is insane. However, I consider an 8' truck bed, stacked and loaded level with the bedrails to be half a cord.
I agree that a half cord is an eight foot truck bed filled level.
I have a trailer that holds a half cord that I use to pick up firewood with.

I cut firewood for exercise and to stop from going nuts in this God forsake State during the Winter. I sell out every year. I only take red & white oak plus hickory. For campfire people black walnut is processed too. (smells good while burning and has an attractive blue flame.) After cutting wood all day, you feel like you have done something when sitting down at 7pm to watch TV.

2wgsxma.jpg

ofvx9h.jpg

qz22pe.jpg

$25 rack for campers

j0hcp4.jpg

I cut firewood for exercise and to stop from going nuts in this God forsake State during the Winter. I sell out every year. I only take red & white oak plus hickory. For campfire people black walnut is processed too. (smells good while burning and has an attractive blue flame.) After cutting wood all day, you feel like you have done something when sitting down at 7pm to watch TV.

2wgsxma.jpg

ofvx9h.jpg

qz22pe.jpg

$25 rack for campers

j0hcp4.jpg

That's a lot of damn wood! I'm really thinking about instead of stacking all my wood in an 18'x21' carport, that I'll start stacking it outside on pallets just like this. Then it can double as a snow fence in the winter. It's nice that it's all somewhat hidden, and out of the way, but it's been crossing my mind the past year or so.

That's a lot of damn wood! I'm really thinking about instead of stacking all my wood in an 18'x21' carport, that I'll start stacking it outside on pallets just like this. Then it can double as a snow fence in the winter. It's nice that it's all somewhat hidden, and out of the way, but it's been crossing my mind the past year or so.

I don't know what it is like where you guys are, but here on the West slope of the Cascades, that wouldn't be an option if you ever intended to BURN it.:surprised3:

It might last a couple years as a fence, before rotting away, but as a viable way to store FIREwood, Not Happening :(

Doug :cheers:

I'd feel odd going home that early... at least lately it's been 2200-2300 before I get home.

Though yesterday ran home after a delivery around 2000 for supper. Well made the mistake of sitting on the couch to eat. Work up it was almost 1000 this morning. Was supposed to have a car to the mechanic at 0730.

I've been doing around 12-14 cords a week. Shooting for 400 this year.

$25 rack for campers

I'd feel odd going home that early... at least lately it's been 2200-2300 before I get home.

Though yesterday ran home after a delivery around 2000 for supper. Well made the mistake of sitting on the couch to eat. Work up it was almost 1000 this morning. Was supposed to have a car to the mechanic at 0730.

I've been doing around 12-14 cords a week. Shooting for 400 this year.

You Da Man, Valley.

When I grow up I want to be just like you.:chainsaw::happybanana::cheers::innocent::happy:

Is that a bed height or using side boards?
Ted, I have never seen firewood of any kind sold for a price that high in my ten years on this forum. On the other hand, my pickup truck with a 6' bed holds two-thirds of a cord, packed tight. So, you must be throwing the logs on board in a random pile. Am I right? Or, are you using a truck with really small truck bed? Please advise.

a little over 1/3 of a cord fit in my 6ft bed, as seen here. it is cut in 16inch lengths. there was a little space at the tailgate that I dropped extra to make the "little over" for someone that wanted a few pieces. the 1/3 cord was the 4 rows stacked parallel with the bed sides. the extra was cross ways . any way it sold for 180 for the 1/3. IMG_8500.JPG
Im getting 400 for a cord as shown in the trailer 7x14 with 2 foot sides
IMG_9057.JPG

My price is way too low. Tomorrow I'm delivering 75 cu ft or mixed hardwoods and stacking it for $120. but I must admit that it goes to a steady customer who's been buying for five years from me. I hate raising the price on her. She takes care of her grandmother who's 96. Other customers usually pay $140 for the same load.

So, Flatbroke, you are making good money in my book. I doubt I will ever get that price here. But, lots of things cost more money on the Left Coast.

That is a good price for her. Nice of you to help out. I sold 1 cord to a friend for 300 early this summer. I think I shed a tear

That is a good price for her. Nice of you to help out. I sold 1 cord to a friend for 300 early this summer. I think I shed a tear.
Amazing how location makes so much difference. If I would have asked for $300 (two truckloads) of wood to anyone in Nebraska after delivering it all, they would never have paid a dime and then asked me to load it all back up and carry it away with the whole idea that I could sell it to someone else. That's the way it is.

Back