Oak Gall parasitic control?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roberthathaway7

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all, novice tree careman here.

I have been taking care of general tree maintenance for a large cemetery for about 10 years now, basically on a volunteer basis. Ever since I started there has been a pretty bad problem with gall wasps on all of the large pin oaks throughout the cemetery. It seems like the general health of the trees has been declining over the last 10 years (was probably mid-decline when I started), and I’ve been having to remove large oak probably once every 2 or 3 years, seemingly due to the heavy gall problem.

Is there any place that I can source/buy some of these wasps that are parasitic to the gall wasps?
I realize transferring fauna in general may not always be a good idea, so let me know your thoughts on that too if you have any.

Thanks

Have a good diagnostic arborist out to evaluate the trees to make sure you know what is going on. There may be more pieces to the puzzle...

Might also start with local Extension office. Some of those are very good. Others...well, call an arborist.

Arborjet claims Tree'Age injections will stop new galls from forming by stopping future insects, I'm not completely sold on this as I'm not sure the insect actually consumes tissue form the tree

I had treated a Bur oak 2-3 years ago for Oak lecanium scale. It was right next to the water, so thought trunk injection was the best. Used Tree-age. The tree also had a variety of galls. Those are gone now too... One data point, but it starts with one.

Latest posts

Back