Oak Leaf Tatters...and more

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jace

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
IMG_1481.JPG IMG_1482.JPG IMG_1484.JPG IMG_1486.JPG IMG_1488.JPG IMG_1449.JPG IMG_1445.JPG IMG_1450.JPG IMG_1505.PNG IMG_1506.PNG

Going to post alot of pictures. Quite a few trees dying. Mosly White Oak, but a few postoak, a dogwood...

About 5 years ago there was a large(12"?) sewer pipe put in, and then theres plenty(too much IMO) of roof rainwater runoff. There was immediate tree mortality from the countys underground septic water system. There was compaction and a few trees damaged at the root flare, causing stress/ decline...some effected slower than others do doubt.
This spring the owner said many of her trees started to leaf out and failed to do so completely. many look dead.
While I believe I saw a few borer exit holes, cicada damage, hypoxlon fungis, etc..trying to fininsh off trees already losing the battle, a main issue I have is with this "Oakleaf Tatter". Never seen it before. Only chemical that the homeowner said had been put down is weed n feed from menards, and it was put out per label on the entire yard, not just where the trees are showing leaf chemical damage.
Could this be from a sewer leak?

Looking for some thoughts and input.

that ort ta more than do it. (the light blue plastic 3" pipe in 2nd photo is rain gutter runoff)

IMG_1436.JPG IMG_1441.JPG IMG_1442.JPG IMG_1452.JPG IMG_1443.JPG

First four pics of oak leaves is chronic herbicide injury. The other pics are taking too long to load so I'm moving on.

Which can happen through root absorption and not just volatization, is that right Rain? The lawn guy had put down granular weed n feed....entire lawn front and back.

Could sewage leak show that type of leaf response?

Sorry all the photos were maybe overkill...I just wanted to try to cover everything good.

Which can happen through root absorption and not just volatization, is that right Rain?
Yes
The lawn guy had put down granular weed n feed....entire lawn front and back.
It's been happening over more than a few years. Weak & poisoned trees then hit with construction disruption, not good.

Could sewage leak show that type of leaf response?.
Very unlikely, septic leaches downward, feeder roots are in the upper soil layer.

Sorry all the photos were maybe overkill...I just wanted to try to cover everything good.
Remove some of the redundant pics & try to down size the rest.

Massive construction damage--roots tore up and the trunks too! +, +.

Improve the soil and mulch. Diseases secondary.

I took a soil sample a few days ago, to see if/what it lacks. Forgot to mention mulching but I will.
Heck of the deal was, I was referred to the client by the lawn guy that spreaded the weed n feed , then I had to turn around and put the herbicide wrap on him...and he's a friend of mine. Expounding on all the previous construction & compaction damage helped me "lighten the load" on him though(although I'm confident he learned from this). A majority of those trees are likely going to keep declining I'll bet...drought 3 yrs ago put a hurting on them too

Back