Oak Split - Should we cut down or can it be saved?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley1973

Reaction score
There is a double trunk oak in my neighbors backyard, with one half that hangs over our property line. We brought tree cutters out today to just trim up the branches over our pool screen, but they discovered a crack/ split in the upper limb of the tree. If this breaks off it is definitely going to come crashing on our property.

From the photos, do you think this is a bad crack / split or something to leave alone. We had them lighten up the tree at the top to even out the weight and make the tree lighter - but they were recommending just to cut this side of the double tree down. Because if it does break more damage will be caused.

We live in Florida - where hurricanes are prevalent. This crack was due to Irma. Pictures attached.

Any advice is appreciated. We love trees but we also do not want the headache of home damage either.

Attachments

• IMG_0427 copy.jpg
    IMG_0427 copy.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0423 copy.jpg
    IMG_0423 copy.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0424 copy.jpg
    IMG_0424 copy.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0425 copy.jpg
    IMG_0425 copy.jpg
    263.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0426 copy.jpg
    IMG_0426 copy.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 79
is this really the client or is it the arborist asking? I assume it's the arborists pics. anyway I would say support systems (cable) in combination with reduction. several 2" to 4" cuts made at the ends. basically all extremities beyond that fracture point should be reduced to some degree. 3" cut diameter max might even be plenty. that would likely represent 10 to 20 foot lengths off the ends. not just to reduce weight but more to reduce sail and wind load capability.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Save yourself a lot of hassles and send a registered letter notifying homeowner that the tree is hazardous and needs to be removed. Get a professional onsite assessment to back you up. That may put the responsibility for any damage on him depending on how the laws work there. Generally if a tree falls its an act of God and its your problem. If the tree was deemed a hazard beforehand and the home owner was informed of the hazard and failed to act on that information to mitigate said hazard, any damage caused by the tree may be his responsibility.

Although cables/support systems might help with co-dominant stems, they will not help the crack. If anything, a cable could cause more problems when that branch fails at the weak point. You can either take care of the problem yourself by removing the stem that is on your property or you can go with arathol's method if you want to pursue the tree owners covering the cost. Either way, I would let your neighbors know what's going on.

Start by talking to neighbor if he's nice he'll handle it if he's not so nice offer to cover half if he's a major pain In the ass send him the letter from a lawyer with arborist report attached. If you are not fazed by the bill handle it yourself.

Yes you could try to save the half leaning toward you but as an arborist If it was my family chillin next to the pool I'd want it gone.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Hazard's: tree leans over swimming pool and has a structural defect. Targets: people at the pool and normally youngsters,though this can be mitigated it will require extensive follow-up to remain safe, yearly or bi-yearly evaluations at minimum to inspect cables etc. If it were a historical tree that might be justified but being the potential of youthful targets and the need for constant vigil "my gut says cut". Reasoning: temporary hazard mitigation and proper after care can save the tree but my experience is the after care is often neglected for financial reasons or property changes hands and somewhere down the line this tree has potential to kill a child.

Whatever else you decide to do or omit, remove it, yesterday. It could come down any second and severely injure or kill someone. Good thing you are looking for a plan of action.

There is a double trunk oak in my neighbors backyard, with one half that hangs over our property line. We brought tree cutters out today to just trim up the branches over our pool screen, but they discovered a crack/ split in the upper limb of the tree. If this breaks off it is definitely going to come crashing on our property.

From the photos, do you think this is a bad crack / split or something to leave alone. We had them lighten up the tree at the top to even out the weight and make the tree lighter - but they were recommending just to cut this side of the double tree down. Because if it does break more damage will be caused.

We live in Florida - where hurricanes are prevalent. This crack was due to Irma. Pictures attached.

Any advice is appreciated. We love trees but we also do not want the headache of home damage either.
Let us know what you did and update with pics for our curiosity.

It's a live oak. Get it pruned. You control the parts above your property. Don't get scared out of your wits!

Back