Oak tree root removal advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clynch2487

Reaction score
I have an oak tree growing outside the fence of my condo. I want to remove the roots on the surface in the backyard so that I can lay down some sod or possibly build a small deck.

I was curious to know if I should be concerned about possibly killing the tree by removing these roots. Also, I don't know the best method for removing these roots. Can anyone please provide some guidance?

Thanks very much,
Connor

Roots1.jpg Roots4.jpg Roots2.jpg Roots3.jpg

Absolutely do not touch them there is a very good chance you will harm the tree to the point of death or failure (falling over) that is far too many roots to remove especially so close to the trunk. If you had a few stray roots well away from the tree that's one thing but you are looking to remove what could possibly be a good portion of what is holding up that tree! When trees are planted in crap soil there roots have nowhere to go so they come out of the ground searching. My bet is there is less then 6" of good quality dirt before you hit clay or rock depending on your location.

The proper thing to do is mulch over the exposed roots or very slowly add dirt maybe 1/2" a year
Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

You could be held liable not only for damage when that tree falls, but also the value of the tree itself when it fails, if you even glance sideways at those roots, too. Don't know where you are, but in a lot of places there are ordinances and such that dictate what you can and can't do with those roots. If you want a deck, build a raised deck over them, without cutting any of them. Definitely not sod.

With removing the few roots inside the fenced you wouldn't cause the tree much harm. Of course, you are in litigious California so if anything ever happened with that tree you'd probably get dragged into the lawsuit. Even if what you did didn't contribute to the failure.

If you want a deck, build a raised deck over them, without cutting any of them.
:numberone:

Even with no root problem given the small space shown I'd build a raised deck.
No problems yet with the foundation?

No, no, no. Don't remove any of those roots. As stated above, mulch over them or build a raised deck over them and enjoy that beautiful tree.
Those are anchor roots (and or) feeder roots. That looks like a live oak, Live oaks do not have a tap root. I would be more concerned with water getting into the house. See how the area around the tree is raised? The tree is pushing the dirt up and raising the ground level. See the slab of the house? It's about the same grade as the slab. Make sure you grade it so the water can drain away from the slab and not back up into the house.

Wow,
who is the tree care vendor for the property?
you could go to a board meeting and request an evaluation of the landscape and trees,
your question is best directed at the HOA board,
I see you are in San Diego, as am I and many more company's,
that is a common area tree so you should cover your butt,
Jeff

Absolutely do not touch them there is a very good chance you will harm the tree to the point of death or failure (falling over) that is far too many roots to remove especially so close to the trunk. If you had a few stray roots well away from the tree that's one thing but you are looking to remove what could possibly be a good portion of what is holding up that tree! When trees are planted in crap soil there roots have nowhere to go so they come out of the ground searching. My bet is there is less then 6" of good quality dirt before you hit clay or rock depending on your location.

The proper thing to do is mulch over the exposed roots or very slowly add dirt maybe 1/2" a year
Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yup,

I also suspect because there is no grass holding the soil in place, some of the soil has washed away, exposing more roots. Also using a yard blower will remove soil over time if it's just dirt. Add about an inch of soil and just sod right over the roots. It's gonna be hard to get grass to take in the shade. In the space between the house and the fence, I would put gravel down and then some brick and use that spot to store stuff. You can add an inch or two of soil on the roots up close to the trunk on a tree that size. Just don't add any out past the drip line.

Back