Oak Tree roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busbar

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing a property with a well established oak tree some 15 feet from the house. There at present appears to be no damage to the house from the roots am I wise to consider purchasing? Or is there likely to be a future problem?

Any answers greatly appreciated.

If there isnt any problems right now and its a well established tree I dont think there should be any problems. What I would worry about is the plumbing. Is it inline with the tree. Large trees like this usually beat up the plumbing. If you see any slight problems with the foundation at any time. You always have the choice to cut the tree down before any major problems occur.
Good luck on the new house,
Darin

I agree with Darin - the roots are hard on the sewer drain where the joints are (because there is usually a gap there and some leakage). As well, weeping tile is another source of water for the tree, and weepers get approached by trees often. If there are no present problems, I would not let that future concern bother you.

Back