Oak tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pieza

Reaction score
I have an old oak tree I would like cut down. I feel that a sawmill would be interested in its lumber. It is very tall and straight and it's free for whomever is willing to cut it down.

Tom Pieza

What Brian is trying to say is that many people have a misconception as to the value of logs.

The lumber we see in stores is a value added product; sawn, resawn, finished, graded and dried.

Then there is the fact that many production sawmills will not take urban/homestead logs due to the high chamnce of metal that will damage the saw bands.

Now if you have a long, straight (no kinks or sweeps) defect free (no knots or cracks) log you may be able to find a veneer mill that will buy it from you.

Most of the people with small mills in my area do work for pallet companies or truck bed operations. They get maybe 20-30 cents per board.

You might be able to find someone that has a small portable mill operator that would be willing to process the lumber for you. Keep in mind most people that do this type of work aren't used to carrying away tops and are hesitant to saw the butt of a yard tree due to metal possibilities. It would be unlikely that a veneer plant would be interested in a yard tree.

Back