Oak Trees located next to driveway

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well said, Jimmy. Let's get together and discuss the issues, just like w're doing in this forum. By the way, in landscape architecture we try to incorporate both the technical/engineering and the artistry/aethetics. I would think landscape designers would try to do the same, but on a smaller scale.

One other point that I just thought of - those oaks will take thirty years to grow large enough to crack the driveway. By that time, the driveway will likely need to be replaced anyway.

In my city, sidewalks and curbs are often replaced (maybe after some judicious root pruning) after they've been damaged by tree roots. And you know, that's okay. Big tree's are worth it, and we need them. Thank goodness we don't plant small or fastigate trees everywhere to spare the flatwork.

I assume these oaks would be in an urban or suburban setting where land is in short supply and Henry cannot plant them more than 5' away. If it is in the country, by all means plant them further away.

But most of our tree plantings (and our need for trees) occur in denser situations. By necessity, trees will be planted closer to sidewalks, curbs and

My biggest question is why are a lot of you recommending the ginkgo tree when it is non-native to USA and provides no benefit to any nature? I've read that White Oaks have deper roots than other oaks, correct?

Latest posts

Back