Odd Hatchet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toyman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while. Got excellent information on rehandling a few axes, picked up a new maul, and got some old hatchets from my father, who got a few from his father. Anyway, one of the hatchets he gave me, he said was my grandfather's. He passed in 1972 and was a shoemaker. It looks new/never used and I can't find anything like it on google, but I'm not sure what to call it. I tried fireman's hatchet, tomahawk with pick, hatchet with pick, etc. But here's a few pictures if anyone can give some information. No markings at all, which leads me to believe it may from a 'junk' store, but it's odd not to find a million similar photos on google?
hatchet.jpg hatchet2.jpg hatchet3.jpg hatchet4.jpg

The cutting head looks a lot like a carpeters or shingle hatchet, usually the other side was a hammer head though. It could be a variation on that although I don't see what a pick would be used for, possibly timber framing?

Yeah, it's odd. The pick looks similar to my Martin body hammer/pick, but again, when google can't replicate it, wow??? Here's a few more pics. I picked these up from my dad, and they were his dad's. I soaked the True Temper Flint Edge in Evaporust for a few days. You can see the color difference a few inches behind the blade. Thoughts on taking a wire wheel to it before I put an edge and new handle on??? I also got the cool Pexto carpenters axe. Shame the handle is jacked up. Thoughts on rehandling and cleaning up the head? I plan on putting them both to use.
hatchet pexto.jpg hatchet pexto2.jpg hatchet pexto3.jpg hatchet pexto4.jpg truetemper.jpg truetemper2.jpg truetemper3.jpg truetemper4.jpg

Yeah, it's odd. The pick looks similar to my Martin body hammer/pick, but again, when google can't replicate it, wow??? Here's a few more pics. I picked these up from my dad, and they were his dad's. I soaked the True Temper Flint Edge in Evaporust for a few days. You can see the color difference a few inches behind the blade. Thoughts on taking a wire wheel to it before I put an edge and new handle on??? I also got the cool Pexto carpenters axe. Shame the handle is jacked up. Thoughts on rehandling and cleaning up the head? I plan on putting them both to use.
View attachment 642490 View attachment 642491 View attachment 642492 View attachment 642493 View attachment 642494 View attachment 642495 View attachment 642496 View attachment 642497

That color difference indicates that the head is made up of two different steel alloys. I'm guessing the cutting edge is a much harder steel than the rest which would make sense. Very cool old pieces.

It definitely looks like a production piece, but no markings. I think I'm more fired up that no one knows what it is! Anyway, here's a pick of the TT Flint Edge rehung on a Council Tool 36" handle and a Craftsman head on a 28" Hickory Boys Axe handle. Both edges still need work and both have a good coat of BLO. Looking forward to getting some use out of them. I think the small Craftsman axe will ride in my Landcruiser full time.
axe.jpg axe2.jpg axe3.jpg axe4.jpg

don't touch the finish on the pexto! that thing looks awesome. I bet you knew that though.

the true temper was pretty rough. I think you did it a good service.

I vote junk store, wannabe fire axe on the hatchet thingy.

The pexto is pretty cool. I have no idea how someone did what they did to the handle :( I don't have a real use for it right now, so I'll probably leave it as is for now. Looking forward to swinging the TT and Craftsman axes in the near future.

I ended up mounting the TT axe in my '94 Land Cruiser with Quick Fist clamps, but wanted a cover for the edge. I also recently bought a Hults Bruk Tarnaby Hatchet, and copied that cover. Need to cut a lace, glue, stitch, finish the edges, and stain. Still thinking about doing some tooling? Here's some pics.

axe sheath 2.jpg axe sheath 3.jpg axe sheath.jpg

Latest posts

Back