odd stihl 026

• Thread starter Deleted member 83629
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No insult intended, cause we'll all be there someday.
When you can't start a stock sub-50cc saw without a decomp, you shouldn't be using a saw.
For the most part, I totally agree. But try telling a 6 foot tall 220 lb 77 yr old man who still heats his house with wood that he can't run a chainsaw anymore. I'm pretty sure he'd mop the floor with me if I tried that! ;) :D

I've run the 026 for years and never found the "non-adjustable" oiler to be an issue. I typically don't let saws idle for extended periods. If I'm going to be very long before the next cut, I just shut it off. I realize not all sawyers operate this way and for those, the oiler that doesn't run all the time may have an edge. I still have an 026 that was purchased new by us in 1990 and it's in my line up. The one the OP has is a nice clean example.

Today my 026 Pro started on the second pull. No joke. It had never done that before. I was on choke and it started to run, I switched to fast idle and she purred away, waiting for her next command. This saw has never let me down, and I doubt that your "new" 026 will either. Great little saws.

This saw 4 strokes out of the cut using 50:1 ethanol free mix it was so bad i had to open the muffler a little so it would clean up. It makes a distinct burble in the wood now and seems a little more peppy can't understand when they would use the muffler the size of a dinner roll but only make the outlet the size of a regular pencil.
going to buy a used original muffler if i decide i to get rid of it.

mine takes two tugs and and it is running, is the 026 a open port or closed?
this saw produces good power for its size.

This saw 4 strokes out of the cut using 50:1 ethanol free mix it was so bad i had to open the muffler a little so it would clean up. It makes a distinct burble in the wood now and seems a little more peppy can't understand when they would use the muffler the size of a dinner roll but only make the outlet the size of a regular pencil.
going to buy a used original muffler if i decide i to get rid of it.
Make sure it's still 4 stroking out of the cut.

There are a bunch of different types of mufflers. I gutted all my baffles, but left the screen. Loud as hell and free breathing. Also have WT 194 adjustable carb. Fixed H is usually plenty rich for a muffler mod. It really depends on temp. and elevation.

Maybe the decomp button is a blessing when you're up in a tree or on a ladder trying to keep your balance as you rip a pull cord.
The older I get, the more the decomp button makes sense. I can easily drop start an 046 with a decomp button. I can't with it popped up, otherwise an orthopedic surgeon will take all my money. Then again, my 046 has almost 160 psi compression.

The 026 I have here now takes more than a dozen pulls on choke to get it to pop. But once started and warmed up is a one pull at idle proposition. Sit and idle all day.
Just a grouchy old man. Don't want to get going in the morning.

The 026 I have is the same, 12 to 15 pulls with choke on when cold, every time after that, one pull and it's purring. When cold, it acts like the choke is not working or the fuel leaks back to the tank when it sets.

The 026 I have is the same, 12 to 15 pulls with choke on when cold, every time after that, one pull and it's purring. When cold, it acts like the choke is not working or the fuel leaks back to the tank when it sets.
I wouldn't know what to do if my 2 take more than 5 pulls, ever...

Maybe yours needs a massage?...

Back