odd stihl 026

• Thread starter Deleted member 83629
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it needs some attention and my 3816 is stumbles really bad off idle so it needs attention too. Glad they're not ported, everybody knows they blow up.:chainsaw:
Please keep spreading that so I can get the rest of mine done before I start drawing social security.

I did some cutting with my "new to me" 026 yesterday. It has a decomp; pretty sure it's a pro model. Think I'll end up plugging it; if I can start a Contra S (137cc) with no decomp, I think I can handle a 50cc with no decomp...

Will do a muffler mod this morning and then re-tune.

The 026 I have here now takes more than a dozen pulls on choke to get it to pop. But once started and warmed up is a one pull at idle proposition. Sit and idle all day.
Just a grouchy old man. Don't want to get going in the morning.

The choke flap is built into the air filter so usually if there is a cold starting problem it just needs a new filter. I had one that had a bit of flocking blocking the seat partially and caused similar problems.

If the decomp doesn't leak there's no advantage to removing it. The hard to pull starting cords are as much design of the system as the displacement and compression of the engine.
My six cube Homelite saws pull over easy compared to my shoulder wrecking Poulan 5200. About a month ago I picked up one of my 024 project saws to finish up and tried to drop start it and got a rude shock.
Ended up putting my foot in the tank handle to get it started. Then I did what I should have done at the start, and measured the squish and compression, .013" and 225 psi explained what I experienced trying to drop start it.

I too have an 026 mixmaster. Mine has the decomp, the adjustable carb with snorkel, and the Pro air filter and cover, but it does not have the adjustable oiler. I am surprised no one has mentioned this before, but there appears to be another difference between Pro and non-Pro: the air filter and filter cover. The only time I have seen these two features before now was on Pro models. My "Pro" air filter appears to have more filter surface for better air flow than my non-Pro model. The upper half or so of the "Pro" filter has filter surface where the non-Pro does not. Is this just my imagination, or does the Pro version have an improved air filter? Also, is this "improved" air filter the same one that comes standard on the MS260?

I too have an 026 mixmaster. Mine has the decomp, the adjustable carb with snorkel, and the Pro air filter and cover, but it does not have the adjustable oiler. I am surprised no one has mentioned this before, but there appears to be another difference between Pro and non-Pro: the air filter and filter cover. The only time I have seen these two features before now was on Pro models. My "Pro" air filter appears to have more filter surface for better air flow than my non-Pro model. The upper half or so of the "Pro" filter has filter surface where the non-Pro does not. Is this just my imagination, or does the Pro version have an improved air filter? Also, is this "improved" air filter the same one that comes standard on the MS260?

Can you post some pics? I can compare to mine.

Here's a picture of the air filter area of a 026 and that of a 026 Pro:
View attachment 798856

Yup. Mine is wider on the front as well. The main difference I found was on the other side of the filter. Filter media only came about half way up on the non-pro, it came all the way to the top on the "Pro". Looks like it could be pretty much the same filter/cover as the 260.

There are definitely a couple different size filters, and I have a suspicion that the 260 airbox may flow better. That said I have no issues making these guys run good with the smaller filter.
I played with a few different size muffler openings on the last couple builds, and I found with my built keeper saw it fell on its face hard once I passed the line of too much. I should probably make this prettier, but after 3 different covers and gradually opening this one up, this is where I ended up:
3cead0c1a8fdb3d36f88b8fd534d34b3.jpg

This little bugger runs hard, but there's a whole lot more than just a muffler mod going on...

Interestingly, the last three I have built have all ended up as 1 pull starters, as long as you flip the choke off fast enough. All of them have had the squish set between .017 and .020.

There are definitely a couple different size filters, and I have a suspicion that the 260 airbox may flow better. That said I have no issues making these guys run good with the smaller filter.
I played with a few different size muffler openings on the last couple builds, and I found with my built keeper saw it fell on its face hard once I passed the line of too much. I should probably make this prettier, but after 3 different covers and gradually opening this one up, this is where I ended up:
3cead0c1a8fdb3d36f88b8fd534d34b3.jpg

This little bugger runs hard, but there's a whole lot more than just a muffler mod going on...

Interestingly, the last three I have built have all ended up as 1 pull starters, as long as you flip the choke off fast enough. All of them have had the squish set between .017 and .020.

And your ears can take it and your neighbors do not complain? If so, I may have to try this. I have a drill press and I can smooth out the holes. Seems like one hole would be enough. Just MHO.

It is really only slightly more opened up than the early OEM mufflers were. It is not obnoxiously loud by any means. Still has the spark arrestor screen too.
You probably dont need as much flow as this saw does. The exhaust port on this one is wide enough that I had to relieve the bolt heads holding the base of the can on...

This should give you an idea how not stock this saw is... This is my stock red lever:
b59081ca0cc521f9e430c8368df371b2.jpg

This is my ported saw:
3c76e6e276947bb464c0c8daa03cc4fb.jpg

I should cut another can to match the port better, that one isn't exactly square, but I may have had a bit too much whiskey by the time I got to it, that entire build went from changing a fuel line to porting/cutting the squish band/base cut thanks to the whiskey.... It still seals and runs fine so I had kind of forgot about it, one of those good enough for my own junk things.

Back