OEM dual felling dogs for an MS461.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevy_tech

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Would anyone have the part # for a set of Stihl felling dogs that would fit my MS461? Do they come in a kit?

Would anyone have the part # for a set of Stihl felling dogs that would fit my MS461? Do they come in a kit?
I asked the same question, a couple of weeks ago. This was the info posted. I ordered it from the local Stihl dealer. Around $50 for the 3 items.
ff1e6451faea91977db7e9955bf3343f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

No kit, need to order the separate numbers.

1128 664 0502 Bumper spike (on the outside, chain sprocket cover)
1122 664 0506 Bumper spike (on the inside)
1122 650 7701 Chain catcher (rollerchain catcher)
This is before tge chain catcher was installed.
ce8b1825937412978aa8c5c2357186b0.jpg

Those nuts are supposed to be on the inside of the cover in the pockets, torx head on the outside. Don't matter, just thought I'd point it out.

And no, hardware is not included.

No kit, need to order the separate numbers.

1128 664 0502 Bumper spike (on the outside, chain sprocket cover)
1122 664 0506 Bumper spike (on the inside)
1122 650 7701 Chain catcher (rollerchain catcher)

Those nuts are supposed to be on the inside of the cover in the pockets, torx head on the outside. Don't matter, just thought I'd point it out.

And no, hardware is not included.
Thanks for pointing that out, I'll put the nuts on the inside.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll put the nuts on the inside.

They way you have the bolts on now are exactly how they come from the factory when you buy an R model..id leave them the way they are...plus the chain guides won't fit back in the clutch cover as good if you turn them around since the threads will protrude into the clutch cover a smidge.

Every one I've seen or R model stihl I bought had the nuts on the outside...id definitely leave them the way you have them.

They way you have the bolts on now are exactly how they come from the factory when you buy an R model..id leave them the way they are...plus the chain guides won't fit back in the clutch cover as good if you turn them around.

Every one I've seen or R model stihl I bought had the nuts on the outside.

Correct, the outer Bucking spike doesn't use torx head screws. How you have it mounted is correct.

So, do I have the wrong bumper spikes mounted on my 046 Magnum?
View attachment 616618
They really worked well today while bucking 30" dia. red elm and noodling the big rounds. This saw is a keeper.

"Wrong" as in what sense? Wrong as in would it have come from the factory that way? No, those spikes would've only come on an 046R, so it would have included the west coast cover and 3/4 wrap handle. That being said, a lot of guys including myself have done and will continue to do what you have done and put west coast dogs on a regular saw and go cut wood. Nothing "wrong" with that in my opinion. It's kind of like is a big block "wrong" in a 55' Chevy, it is wrong, but is oh so right....

That's crazy that the 2 spikes and the chain catcher is $50. When I bought a 362 this summer, the 361R which included the 2 larger spikes (same as the 461?), plus larger clutch cover and a mostly metal wrap handle was only $50 more vs the reg 362.

"Wrong" as in what sense? Wrong as in would it have come from the factory that way? No, those spikes would've only come on an 046R, so it would have included the west coast cover and 3/4 wrap handle. That being said, a lot of guys including myself have done and will continue to do what you have done and put west coast dogs on a regular saw and go cut wood. Nothing "wrong" with that in my opinion. It's kind of like is a big block "wrong" in a 55' Chevy, it is wrong, but is oh so right....

Those dawgs don't line up on that saw, they came on a standard 660 and would line up on a 440...sucks they made a 046/460/461 have a different outer than a 440/660 and the variants.

Back