OEM dual felling dogs for an MS461.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's crazy that the 2 spikes and the chain catcher is $50. When I bought a 362 this summer, the 362R which included the 2 larger spikes (same as the 461?), plus larger clutch cover and a mostly metal wrap handle was only $50 more vs the reg 362.

I meant 362r not, 361. typo.

30" diameter red elm?! Lucky *$(%#*%)@#!
I harvested six truckloads of firewood from that one red elm tree. The land owner paid a tree removal company $1,500 to take it down and grind up the small branches. Then he called me for the rest of the "gold". The tree was solid to the core and I really have no idea why he wanted it removed. I counted 78 annular rings at the stump. I had to noodle cut the largest rounds into six pieces in order to lift them onto the tailgate.

I used the 046 Mag with a 32" bar for the bucking and then dropped down to my Echo CS-670 with a 25" bar for the noodling. Both saws ran great. The chunks are now drying peacefully for next year's firewood harvest. I've already split some of the branches after I discovered very little stringiness. Weather has been so dry here that I might be able to burn some of those in March. Life goes on. :)

I harvested six truckloads of firewood from that one red elm tree. The land owner paid a tree removal company $1,500 to take it down and grind up the small branches. Then he called me for the rest of the "gold". The tree was solid to the core and I really have no idea why he wanted it removed. I counted 78 annular rings at the stump. I had to noodle cut the largest rounds into six pieces in order to lift them onto the tailgate.

I used the 046 Mag with a 32" bar for the bucking and then dropped down to my Echo CS-670 with a 25" bar for the noodling. Both saws ran great. The chunks are now drying peacefully for next year's firewood harvest. I've already split some of the branches after I discovered very little stringiness. Weather has been so dry here that I might be able to burn some of those in March. Life goes on. :)

There's probably 5-6 loads of dead standing red elm that I plan on getting to this year. Not that I'll complain about burning the oak but the ash left behind from the red elm works perfect to help clean the glass on the stove. I enjoy the smell downwind when outside from it too, as well as how it coals up.

They way you have the bolts on now are exactly how they come from the factory when you buy an R model..id leave them the way they are...plus the chain guides won't fit back in the clutch cover as good if you turn them around since the threads will protrude into the clutch cover a smidge.

Every one I've seen or R model stihl I bought had the nuts on the outside...id definitely leave them the way you have them.
That is correct! I just picked up my cover today and this is how they were from the factory!
ffe05d59b9718d92e29b1b20fb33fe52.jpg

The 661r spikes fit my 441, pretty sure they’d fit the 461. They’re skelotonized and pretty slick looking. If anyone wants me to check them on a 461 for sure let me know

The 661r spikes fit my 441, pretty sure they’d fit the 461. They’re skelotonized and pretty slick looking. If anyone wants me to check them on a 461 for sure let me know

They will fit, but they don't line up with the inner. The 441 and 661 are the same, the 461 is different. They've always been that way, all the way back to the 046. Just lay a 661 outer on top of a 461 outer, when you line up the mounting holes, the spikes will not be lined up.

They will fit, but they don't line up with the inner. The 441 and 661 are the same, the 461 is different. They've always been that way, all the way back to the 046. Just lay a 661 outer on top of a 461 outer, when you line up the mounting holes, the spikes will not be lined up.

Thanks for this answer. I tried to put the 362 dual spikes on my 462 this weekend, with the same issue. Fit, but don't line up. Has anyone figured out what will fit the 462? It looks like the R version has them. Anyone have part numbers for that?

Thanks

I had a look again. The spikes I listed above are the normal ones. Normally the MS 462 dosen`t have a roller catcher listed. It should work with the following setup (found on the other site)

Inner spike: 1122 664 0506
Outer spike: 1122 664 0509 (superceeded to 1122 664 0501)
Chain catch: 1122 650 7702

This also requires the chain sprocket cover of the MS 462 rescue version (1142 640 1702)

I asked the same question, a couple of weeks ago. This was the info posted. I ordered it from the local Stihl dealer. Around $50 for the 3 items.
ff1e6451faea91977db7e9955bf3343f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Does it need a different chain catcher? Why is the chain catcher listed?

Im only looking at an outside spike because the part of the case the inner spike bolts to broke off.

Does someone have the part numbers for the hardware?

Latest posts

Back