Oh C'mon already, enough is enough!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushmans

Smoke Dragon Herder
Reaction score
I don't mind winter, in fact I'm kinda fond of it. It allows me to relax, drink more coffee, cut more firewood and all the while I don't have to mow the lawn!
BUT this year is getting on my nerves. I can't get to the wood lot without snowshoes and even if I did I can't get the truck anywhere near the cut wood (as evidenced by burying my pick up a few weeks back).

The cold temps are un nerving, the drifting, blowing snow is sarcastically mocking me in everything I do, and the new snow leaves me with a contempt for Mother Nature and Old Man Winter that has never interfaced with my winter ideology before.

I'm flat out depressed that this season has locked me in it's cold embrace and I can't get out. It is not how it's supposed to be! I should be skiing, rabbit hunting, ice fishing, snowmobiling.

To top off the list I now have a chest cold that is setting deep into my lungs, burning with every breath and my head feels like a sack stuffed with too many potatoes.

Then I awaken to this????????????????

snow_4cast7.png

Another 11.4" of snow! I'll be damned!
I'm going to bury myself in blankets, let the wood stove rip away regardless of how much smoke pours forth... and baby, keep the coffee coming! See you guys on the flip side!

Welcome to Michigan . We got 2" more last night and supposed to get 6"-8" Tomorrow.

Sent from my Autotune Carb

Welcome to Michigan .

It's been a weird winter for sure. We usually get the snow, then it melts and then it snows and melts again. Then we have the week long cold snap that ends just as quickly as it started. This is not typical Michigan weather. At least not in my area! Poor folks on the shores of Lake Michigan are getting beat down as usual though! Lake effect snow natures revenge!
What part of Mi are you in?

Ahh yes! I went to school in Lake Orion! Cruised Rochester and the Hills many a night!
I still have some family that way. In fact my brother currently resides in Rochester.
Mostly we were all in Orion and Oxford. Grand dad started Bushman's disposal in Oxford in the 40's and sold out in the early 90's. Had he not sold I would still be there running the business!

Well if you know that area i can be more specific i live in Oakland Township Adams/Gunn area

I too was born in that hospital. The last place I lived was in Oakland TWP on Harmon Road. Near Stoney Creek and Adams intersection If I recall correctly!

Bushman......yah you guys have been getting your asses kicked this winter. I have family in GB, WI who are used to tuff winters, but this one has been particularly gnawing.

Just think about how tough it's going to be on the deer herd. You can bet the harvest numbers will be down significantly this coming fall. Deep snow and sustained sub zero temps = high winter kill.

My best advice is to buy more beer and Crown Royal.

Last edited:
Yeah it sure has been way colder here in CNY too.

Colder temps and way less snow cover has made this winter a delight for wood cutters because of the frozen ground. Other wise muddy fields are now frozen to safely allow wheeled vehicle traffic easy access.

...as an aside I have to say how much I appreciate this QF4300ST stove the wife forced on me. We always burn WOT for max heat and it great to have hot coals available to quickly get up to warp speed...

... our Shenandoah stoves couldn't keep hot coals for any time at all.

Did you ever try skiing when the windchill is -40 and the wind is blowing 50mph into your face. Don't move here

Yes. And I worked at a ski hill here out in some nasty weather. We get it all up in our mountains. When you are young, those are good times to be out skiing because it isn't crowded, if they can keep the lifts going. I believe what with the "wind chill" some days were said to be -80. Snow? After one night's dump we couldn't start the lifts till around 11:00 because we had to shovel snow to get the snow cleared out so we could get to the lift controls. It was chest high on me, which would be waist high on tall people. Cascade Concrete. Gotta love it to enjoy it.

Don't move here cuz we get that weather too. Then it rains.

Why can't you ski? I do not understand.

It's not that I can't but that I won't. When it is this cold it takes the fun out of it. Also seems like lately every available weekend to go the weather is awful. We really like skiing on the west side of Michigan but driving along the lake in inclement weather just for entertainment purposes is really not worth it. A 21/2 hour drive in blinding snow on hazardous freeways.....I'll pass.
We did go last winter and it was 2 degrees. We made out OK and the slopes were empty it it was a horrible drive. We only went because it was a family Christmas present. We stayed right at the slopes in their hotel. Fun but cold!
It snowed the entire time. Hard to see where you were going!ski.jpg

Ski?? What's the point??
Ya' get hauled up the hill, so ya' can slide down the hill on sticks strapped to your feet... just so ya' can get hauled back up the hill.
Reminds me of golf... ya' chase after the ball, so ya' can hit the ball... just so ya' can chase after it again.

I tried both of 'em... the only thing I found interesting about either was the selection of beer in the clubhouse or chalet‼

It's not that I can't but that I won't. When it is this cold it takes the fun out of it. Also seems like lately every available weekend to go the weather is awful. We really like skiing on the west side of Michigan but driving along the lake in inclement weather just for entertainment purposes is really not worth it. A 21/2 hour drive in blinding snow on hazardous freeways.....I'll pass.
We did go last winter and it was 2 degrees. We made out OK and the slopes were empty it it was a horrible drive. We only went because it was a family Christmas present. We stayed right at the slopes in their hotel. Fun but cold!
It snowed the entire time. Hard to see where you were going!View attachment 331310
Sorry but I have to ask this question........... Who skis without high quality goggles?

I can't get to the wood lot without snowshoes and even if I did I can't get the truck anywhere near the cut wood (as evidenced by burying my pick up a few weeks back).

Excuse to upgrade the truck, I have been having a blast in this snow. I've been looking for excuses to head out to my stream so I can use ample sources of throttle application. Keep coming down snow.

Back