Oh god not another oil thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOD

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
So Monday I am at work in the park I maintain. The boss pulls in and I tell him I need more mixed fuel. He hands me a full can of straight gas and a bottle of HP ultra and says to mix it up, I say fine, and then look at what he gave me.....

The can was a 2.5 gal Eagle safety can, filled to the brim.

He handed me a small bottle of HP ultra, which I read the label and it says it makes exactly 2 gallons of 50:1.

Now, I have 2.5 gallons of gas and only enough oil to mix with two gallons.

I tell him this is not good and it's good I caught it before other crews mixed incorrect ratios and burned up their FS80's and BR600's.

He says, it'll be fine, just mix it anyways, thus creating a dangerously lean cocktail of 62:1 or something.

After he left, I poured out some gas into my 5 gal can and attempted to mix a correct ratio. This is why I always like mixing my own gas, from measuring it out from the pump to adding my choice of oil my way.

So who is right? Can equipment designed for 50:1 operate safely at 62:1 on a long term basis?

So Monday I am at work in the park I maintain. The boss pulls in and I tell him I need more mixed fuel. He hands me a full can of straight gas and a bottle of HP ultra and says to mix it up, I say fine, and then look at what he gave me.....

The can was a 2.5 gal Eagle safety can, filled to the brim.

He handed me a small bottle of HP ultra, which I read the label and it says it makes exactly 2 gallons of 50:1.

Now, I have 2.5 gallons of gas and only enough oil to mix with two gallons.

I tell him this is not good and it's good I caught it before other crews mixed incorrect ratios and burned up their FS80's and BR600's.

He says, it'll be fine, just mix it anyways, thus creating a dangerously lean cocktail of 62:1 or something.

After he left, I poured out some gas into my 5 gal can and attempted to mix a correct ratio. This is why I always like mixing my own gas, from measuring it out from the pump to adding my choice of oil my way.

So who is right? Can equipment designed for 50:1 operate safely at 62:1 on a long term basis?

Well maybe, but then again maybe not. If it is maybe yes there is less math; if it is maybe not there is less work. Either way you did the right thing and brought up the problem to him, now it is up to him to decide.

Based on my experience of employees running equipment they don't own, i'd say they will usually well and truly break them in a miriad of other ways before the wear of a slightly lean mix becomes an issue.

This proves a point I have maintained for many years now, bosses are HARD TO TRAIN.
No wonder I have had so many jobs in my life.
But, I won't put up with stupidity, unsafe conditions, or BS.

Kev,

you've got it all wrong. You can't cure stupid. If they don't want to listen, its not because you are wrong.

Its like homer said

I want to share something with you: The three
little sentences that will get you through life.
Number 1: Cover for me. Number 2: Oh, good idea, Boss!
Number 3: It was like that when I got here.​

Kev,

you've got it all wrong. You can't cure stupid. If they don't want to listen, its not because you are wrong.

Its like homer said

I want to share something with you: The three
little sentences that will get you through life.
Number 1: Cover for me. Number 2: Oh, good idea, Boss!
Number 3: It was like that when I got here.​

Homer is a fountain of knowledge!:clap: :monkey:

"You can't fix stupid".

"You can't lead a horse to water and make him drink".

"You can't train those that don't want to be trained".

"You can't fix stupid".

"You can't lead a horse to water and make him drink".

"You can't train those that don't want to be trained".

Another one for ya.

" Ya can't quit Dumb, cold turkey".

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Last edited:
Hmm, the beginning of the OP reminded me of Bruce Willis in Diehard when he is at the fountain. I was waiting for you to say you poured exactly 1 gallon in a milk jug leaving,oh you get the idea. How about something completely different. Do what the boss says and run the new mix in all the crews trimmers and blowers. If everyones equiptment starts blowing up you know the problem. Make sure you blame it on him and his new mix. :greenchainsaw:

Back