ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Oh I never grease my clutch bearing?

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
But if it was kept greased like the owners manual said it would of never rusted.

Pay now for grease or pay later for clutch n crank? Makes sense to be, of course I get the used saw with the rusted clutch bearing.

Conquistador3

Conquistador3

Le Comte de Frou Frou
It's just a superficial patina of rust. You can (mostly?) clean it off with elbow grease and the right products.
It won't destroy your crankshaft, relax.

For the record I have never greased the MS231 needle roller bearing. It cracked after three or four years of good use. I have started greasing the new one out of the box just to see if it will make any difference in bearing lifespan.
That poor little clamshell: despised by all, madly abused and used for my pointless experiments. :laugh:

Jkstihl

Jkstihl

Chainsaws make me fap.
Keyboard: "hey ive got a question mark that you can use for proper punctuation"!

Huskybill: "ill use that sob after every sentence i write"!

Arboristsite: "wtf"....

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
I grease the clutch bearing and sprocket nose bar often. At least once a week or more.
Keyboard: "hey ive got a question mark that you can use for proper punctuation"!

Huskybill: "ill use that sob after every sentence i write"!

Arboristsite: "wtf"....
What are you talking about Willis?

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
I never grease mine either. A bit of 3-in-1 oil seems to do the trick through.
I hope it’s dried up grease. It’s rock solid. My kid will come over and start it up and I’ll try some sandpaper on the bearing area.

I wonder why the manufacturers never put a small hole between the splines to it may get some bar oil on the bearing?