Oil cap came off, while cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natster

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Oil all down my pants leg.
Royal mess.
It's a 20 yr old 046. Non flippy caps. It's just a nuisance. I had tightened them adequately, I thought. No.
Long walk back to truck, more oil. I understand why stihl made "flippy caps". I was thinking, I wish these caps had a small hole in the side, in the threads area, with a wick stuck in the hole, so it would have a built in pre-stressed mechanism, so it would be less prone to rattle, or vibrate loose.
This has happened maybe 10x in the last 20 yrs. It's just such a mess. It inevitably happens right after a sharpening, and fill up of oil and fuel. And, while cutting a tree down.
Nate

No fun!

Do those caps have a gasket or an o-ring? Maybe time for a new one that can be compressed a bit more. I have never had one work it's way out.

I think I have only "oiled" myself twice after filling a saw with bar oil and being distracted by something between the time I was putting the cap on the oil jug and was supposed to screw in the oil cap on the saw.

I cut replacement caps on a mill out of iron.

Magnet has saved my ass so many times.

Not really.. If you completely forget to put it on. Yup have done it a few times oil everywhere even before starting it
Well, sure, that problem exists with threaded caps too.

The cap backing off the threads....doesn't happen with flippy.

Now...they can not seat properly, in which case they will pop off and oil your leg, however, this is negated by simply pulling on the cap quick before going back to work.

I have had a flippy cap not seat into the groove on pole pruner. Started leaking pretty quick.
Older screw in caps for stihl work when they are in good condition with a good gasket. Over tightening them with a screw driver a time or 2 seems to
flatten the gasket then you need tighten it about the same thereafter. Newish gasket and good cap i get them plenty tight with my fingers. If in doubt how good it is or my grip feels weakish I'll give it an additional 1/8 inch with the screwdriver. Some may need more if the gasket or cap aren't so good and it would vary to what is finger tight per individual.
Been there ,usually i just got distracted and never tightened the cap properly or at all. Bar oil is nasty on clothes and shoes.

Oil all down my pants leg.
Royal mess.
It's a 20 yr old 046. Non flippy caps. It's just a nuisance. I had tightened them adequately, I thought. No.
Long walk back to truck, more oil. I understand why stihl made "flippy caps". I was thinking, I wish these caps had a small hole in the side, in the threads area, with a wick stuck in the hole, so it would have a built in pre-stressed mechanism, so it would be less prone to rattle, or vibrate loose.
This has happened maybe 10x in the last 20 yrs. It's just such a mess. It inevitably happens right after a sharpening, and fill up of oil and fuel. And, while cutting a tree down.
Nate
Not as bad as gas dumping onto your nuts it burns all day.

I've oiled my shirts, pants, chaps, boots and the ground. With my 660 it was usually completely forgetting to tighten the cap, with the flippy cap it is usually because the cap didn't seat right and came out. Didn't put the flippy gas cap on right and spilled gas on the crotch of my pants in the rain and regretted that in a hurry.

At least with the oil you make the pants water resistant. I have pants and shirts my wife refuses to put in the washer . Covered in bar oil rear end grease trans fluid . Anybody seeing a pattern here. I'm very messy doing mechanical work .

I usually just soak them in purple power and oxiclean in the slop sink . Rinse and yup stains are still there at least they dont stink

Back