Oil cap came off, while cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least with the oil you make the pants water resistant. I have pants and shirts my wife refuses to put in the washer . Covered in bar oil rear end grease trans fluid . Anybody seeing a pattern here. I'm very messy doing mechanical work .

I usually just soak them in purple power and oxiclean in the slop sink . Rinse and yup stains are still there at least they dont stink

Yes, I'm seeing that this is a people problem...not a cap problem.

Some people can handle putting caps on correctly, some cannot.

At least with the oil you make the pants water resistant. I have pants and shirts my wife refuses to put in the washer . Covered in bar oil rear end grease trans fluid . Anybody seeing a pattern here. I'm very messy doing mechanical work .

I usually just soak them in purple power and oxiclean in the slop sink . Rinse and yup stains are still there at least they dont stink

Try pine sol

My flippy cap oiled my leg. I thought I twisted it on but it must not have been just right. That same cap also broke onto 2 when I put it on. I have Chinese ones on there now and they seem to be ok. I've never had an issue with non flippy caps.

Never had one issue with caps until flippy caps.

Thank goodness they were made.

I've never had a oil or gas cap come lose. Forgot to put the oil cap on once or twice though.
I've done that.
Also lost a bar nut,
and put mixed gas in the oil reservoir, but caught it when adding bar oil.
Not all in the same day. Make me feel old and stupid in the moment.
Now I have deliberate patterns I follow, as I hope to continue using my 11 year old 357 XP for many more years.
I use a work trailer. Now the first thing that comes off when setting up is the straight gas, so there is no chance of a mix up. I fuel the straight gas things first thing, top them off, and check oil, and the 2 1/2 gal. gas cans get put next to the straight gas engines. I use multiple smaller cans because they are easier to handle, and as with the conveyor, the engine is tucked under the equipment making full tank refueling with a larger can impractical. If I bring out extra fuel in a larger 5 gal. can for making more mix gas it too is removed from the trailer, where I refuel saws. No chance of straight gasing a saw.
In the next few weeks I'll be looking to add a bench vise to mount on a box for the trailer to use for field re-sharpening. I've been walking to the house to sharpen, which makes for a nice break, but too often it becomes an extended break. The garage does offer good height and lighting to make a quick go of the actual hand sharpening. And extra caps, bar nuts, bars/chains, etc. is all there. But I get something to eat or drink, and side tracked in other ways. I think I'll also add my old pancake air compressor to the trailer with a short hose and blow the saw out more often.

Try pine sol
Tried it and lestoil . Still stained but it's not an issue.

I remember a friend asking why all us harley riders wear black. Told him it was to hide the oil stains.
He bought one a couple of years later. When he was changing his oil he had 4 qrts of oil out . Told him to put in three and a half. He refused to listen as the book said 4qrts. Sure enough on a nice hot day the breather puked oil all over his leg.

Same...

Maybe we're just smarter than the flippy caps?
I was pro flippy cap and loved them for years. Until I had one start seating improperly and had to cut all day with gas burning my leg. Made me miss the slight discomfort of my youth from an overfilled zippo lighter in the pocket.

Now I only use regular caps so when I put gas in the bar oil tank I know it’s definitely me!

I have had a couple aftermarket ones that the lock lever just popped up After looking at them.

I lost a screw in type cap on my oil res a couple years ago. I am confident I hadn't screwed it in tight, if at all, so the blame falls squarely on Operator Error. Though the cap had the typical tether, it pulled out too, so the cap was well and completely lost. I noticed my boot was seriously oiled, which was the first sign of trouble. My pup and I seriously searched the area, but never found it. I was able to pick up a new one at the saw shop later in the day, so I didn't really lose much time. Had an oiled boot reminder for a month or so. Probably ran saw with no oil for a while till I noticed, but did not run long enough to damage the oil pump. Another lesson learned, and mistake not since repeated - yet!

And, of course I have also lost a bar nut once. While cutting up a downed pine tree in our church lawn. We moved all the wood, chipped all the branches, and raked the area but didn't find it. So, I bought two, one to replace the lost and one to carry in my saw box. And while walking the area a couple weeks later, I found the original. So, now I have two spares.

My perspective, if you haven't dumped a load of oil on your leg/boot, and lost a bar nut, you have sawed enough.

I lost a screw in type cap on my oil res a couple years ago. I am confident I hadn't screwed it in tight, if at all, so the blame falls squarely on Operator Error. Though the cap had the typical tether, it pulled out too, so the cap was well and completely lost. I noticed my boot was seriously oiled, which was the first sign of trouble. My pup and I seriously searched the area, but never found it. I was able to pick up a new one at the saw shop later in the day, so I didn't really lose much time. Had an oiled boot reminder for a month or so. Probably ran saw with no oil for a while till I noticed, but did not run long enough to damage the oil pump. Another lesson learned, and mistake not since repeated - yet!

And, of course I have also lost a bar nut once. While cutting up a downed pine tree in our church lawn. We moved all the wood, chipped all the branches, and raked the area but didn't find it. So, I bought two, one to replace the lost and one to carry in my saw box. And while walking the area a couple weeks later, I found the original. So, now I have two spares.

My perspective, if you haven't dumped a load of oil on your leg/boot, and lost a bar nut, you have sawed enough.

I am a regular at the parts couinter asking for both bar nuts and screnches! Yesterday I was out loading rounds I had cut lastd week. Noodling most of them. I save the noodles for the neighbor for use in the chicken house. Picking up a handful and there was a bar nut.....hmmm... I'd better check the MS441. I don't recall using it after that.

I was pro flippy cap and loved them for years. Until I had one start seating improperly and had to cut all day with gas burning my leg. Made me miss the slight discomfort of my youth from an overfilled zippo lighter in the pocket.

Now I only use regular caps so when I put gas in the bar oil tank I know it’s definitely me!
Funny...i have a buddies saw in the garage right now that needs some work...just walked by it and both the thread on caps had leaked all over my floor.

All my flippies sitting there nice and dry.

Oil all down my pants leg.
Royal mess.
It's a 20 yr old 046. Non flippy caps. It's just a nuisance. I had tightened them adequately, I thought. No.
Long walk back to truck, more oil. I understand why stihl made "flippy caps". I was thinking, I wish these caps had a small hole in the side, in the threads area, with a wick stuck in the hole, so it would have a built in pre-stressed mechanism, so it would be less prone to rattle, or vibrate loose.
This has happened maybe 10x in the last 20 yrs. It's just such a mess. It inevitably happens right after a sharpening, and fill up of oil and fuel. And, while cutting a tree down.
Nate
Just a thought. Maybe cap is old and brittle, but at any rate new caps on ebay dirt cheap or ur stihl dealer. Most caps get tighter than a knats ass stretched accross 50 gal barrel. From Vibration.

Back