Oil/Fuel Mix Ratio on Vintage Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcginkleschmidt

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am the owner of a John Deere 50V Chainsaw, a re-branded Echo CS-452VL, that I purchased about 1979, and the Owners Manual specifies a fuel/oil mix ratio of 20:1. When I remove the muffler to inspect the piston, the piston appears to be nice and shiny so I suppose from a maintenance standpoint, the 20:1 mix has been good for the saw. However, whenever I run the saw it puts out a white exhaust cloud that is not unlike that seen from a coal-fired freight train but I guess this keeps the mosquitoes at bay.

The saw had been sitting unused for about nine months and today I filled it with the only 2-cycle fuel I had on hand, TruFuel 40:1 mix, and I ran the saw for about 3-4 minutes. For the thirty-some years I've owned this saw I've always run the specified 20:1 fuel mix but today, with the 40:1 TruFuel mix, the exhaust white smoke cloud was conspicuously missing that brings me around to the intent of this thread. Is it OK to use a higher ratio fuel/oil mix with this vintage saw or should I continue to use the specified 20:1 fuel/oil mix, or maybe somewhere in between? I'm guessing the lube properties of today's oil has improved over the years.

I'm a homeowner who uses the saw about 2-3 times a year for a wooded yard maintenance of tree trimming and cutting and the occasional help with similar tasks for family and friends. In the 30-plus years I've owned this saw, it probably has the work hours equivalent for a professional of less than six months of use.

IMG.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a 750 EVL and a 452 VL. I can tell you that 50:1 is no problem. There is a bulletin somewhere on the Echo site that says ALL of their equipment can be run with the modern oils at 50:1. If 40:1 makes you happy, carry on. I see no need to go further that that but even in OLD saws, 32:1 with modern synthetic oils is perfectly fine. Also the modern synthetic oils won't smoke when they warm up, at least not like you are used to.

I've run the same fuel mix in all my saws for decades, zero ethanol pump premium and Opti 2.

New saws run as they should and the old ones run better. No plug fouling, no smoke screen, no GTF out the house cause you've been running your old saws smell....

Thanks guys for your input and recommendations. From here on out I will continue to use the 40:1 mix. I live in the metro Atlanta area and I don't believe there is any ethanol-free gas anywhere within an hour or two drive, otherwise I would be mixing my own 2-cycle fuel. In spite of the added expense and with my limited use, I think I will continue to stick with the canned ethanol-free 92 octane TruFuel 40:1 mix that costs $4.95/32 oz can at Wally World.

You do have the option of Aviation Fuel, 100LL.

As long as the ole girl has enough compression that shouldnt be a problem.
Saws lacking in the compression department have a tendency to not want to run on 100LL.
AV gas is resistant to ignition AND a carburetor adjustment is near eminent.

But, I will add that my STIHL 08 runs great on 100LL/Motul 800 2T.......smells good too!! :wink2:

As long as the ole girl has enough compression that shouldnt be a problem.
Saws lacking in the compression department have a tendency to not want to run on 100LL.
AV gas is resistant to ignition AND a carburetor adjustment is near eminent.

But, I will add that my STIHL 08 runs great on 100LL/Motul 800 2T.......smells good too!! :wink2:

My 452 was run on AV fuel before I got it. The tune was a bit different but it run on it.

I have a John Deere 46EV that has only run on Stihl two stroke oil and premium gas at 50:1 for the last ten years that I've had it with absolutely no problems. Good saw that always fires on the second pull no matter how long it has been sitting. For a short while I did use 10% ethanol blend in it and found out why ethanol isn't good for small engines. 40:1 or 50:1 should work fine in that saw.

I have an echo 750 evl i have read on here that a guy used a cs 601 coil and flywheel butmentione using some type of chip....can anyone tell me what this chip might be or is there any other way to put some type of cdi and coil on this saw ...Does anyone hv a 750 evl for sal or JD 80 ev

Back