Oil out the vent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_376

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have a yard machine 27 ton splitter. I was using it a little today when I luckily noticed it starting to dump oil out of the vent. I shut it off quickly and only lost about a quart of ATF. Why would it over flow all of a sudden. The cylinder was still cool, I only split 2 logs. The fluid was clear red not milky.

was the fluid "topped-off" a bit too high with the cylinder extended? Once it retracts all that fluid would dump into the reservoir and out the vent if overfilled.

I haven't done anything to the machine in a few months. I fired it up a few days ago and split a few pieces fine. I split a few this morning and then went back at it this afternoon. I split 1 piece of wood, it was a nasty crotch but it split it like normal. I started on the 2nd round and that was when it started puking oil out the hole.

I think I may go to the hardware store and pick up a piece of brass pipe (or stainless if they have it) and a fitting to raise it up 2 inches.

Did the "dumped" fluid have bubbles? Was it spewing foam or normal fluid?
Any recent work done to it?

If the machine sits outside it is possible that water has overfilled the reservoir. That would cause this exact issue on a cold unit.

No foam or bubbles in the fluid. No recent work.

It could have been out of level. I moved the splitter so I will never know for sure.

The fluid was clean so I don't think it is a water issue.

Your Tank may of got some water in it and raised the fluid level a bit higher than normal.
Maybe pull the drain plug a bit to see if there is water on the bottom.
Chad

Latest posts

Back