Oiler issue with ms260

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1stgei

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello Gents! Quick question. I’m fixing my buddies older ms260. It appears to be a pro model (as it has a decomp valve and an adjustable Oiler). It appears the saw was pissing out allot of oil after I tuned it up. When I flipped it over I cannot see an adjustment screw at all. (Pic below). There is nothing. Could this be a non adjustable model? OR is the adjustment screw missing and do I need to replace it? Any help would be appreciated before I take off the clutch drum again and dig. it out. IMG_4946.jpgIMG_4945.jpgIMG_4928.jpg

Have you stuck a flat head in there and tried to turn anything? They are not visible. My 044 adjustment is up in there.

The justable oiler screw is in that little hole. Also in most to all stihl power saws has a worm screw. The worm screw has a metal tab that is seated in a grove of the chain clutch. Therefore it will only oil the chain when the chain is moving. There are many reasons way a saw leeks oil.
1) the bar hole for the oil is blocked

2) the oil tube can be old and is cracked or shrunk do to old age or being stored out side in a barn where the temps very month to month.

3) the bar has a uneven surface and not making a tight seal when the chain cover and chain nuts are tighten down. (Remove paint off bar in that Oiler hole area)

4) the bar got pinched and was pulled on HARD . Slight bend in that area (Oiler plate/ bar) Check if the bar is flat at the Oiler hole. Any slight gap. Oil will get out and :rock2: all over the place.

[photo=large]5640[/photo][photo=large]5642[/photo][photo=large]5641[/photo]

Yes like BTR said! My non-pro MS260 has the non-adjustable oiler. It only pumps oil when the chain is running. It can sit and idle for an hour and will not lose a drip of chain oil. Your saw is definitely leaking chain oil somewhere and BTR:2002 coverdd all the possibilities. If your saw is a true "PRO" model, it should have the adjustable oiler on it. The older 026 Pro featured an adjustable oiler, decomp. valve, and a compensating carburetor. When they switched over to the MS260 from the 026, they put compensating carbs on all of them, but not the decomp or adjustable oiler. Your saw may have had a new jug installed with a decomp port in it. The top covers on all 260's have the hole for the decomp. Mine has a little plastic filler plate covering it.

Yes like BTR said! My non-pro MS260 has the non-adjustable oiler. It only pumps oil when the chain is running. It can sit and idle for an hour and will not lose a drip of chain oil. Your saw is definitely leaking chain oil somewhere and BTR:2002 coverdd all the possibilities. If your saw is a true "PRO" model, it should have the adjustable oiler on it. The older 026 Pro featured an adjustable oiler, decomp. valve, and a compensating carburetor. When they switched over to the MS260 from the 026, they put compensating carbs on all of them, but not the decomp or adjustable oiler. Your saw may have had a new jug installed with a decomp port in it. The top covers on all 260's have the hole for the decomp. Mine has a little plastic filler plate covering it.

The oil is flowing well to the bar. Just seems like allot! But no pluggage and runs well . This is Canadian 260 , and I read somewhere they have a mix of both. He says it has not been modified at all and is stock. Seems to oil good just weird it looks like there is an adjustment as noted on the cover (it’s not there) ... and has the decomp valve.

I’ll pull the little bastard apart tonight and take a looksie.

Just seemed like allot more oil compared to my other saws that have the adjustment.

I was running on the snow tuning the carb and the flywheel cover was drenched. Left a nice little puddle under the crank case.

The oil is flowing well to the bar. Just seems like allot! But no pluggage and runs well . This is Canadian 260 , and I read somewhere they have a mix of both. He says it has not been modified at all and is stock. Seems to oil good just weird it looks like there is an adjustment as noted on the cover (it’s not there) ... and has the decomp valve.

I’ll pull the little bastard apart tonight and take a looksie.

Just seemed like allot more oil compared to my other saws that have the adjustment.

I was running on the snow tuning the carb and the flywheel cover was drenched. Left a nice little puddle under the crank case.

It has a decomp valve so also probably has the chain driven oiler unless someone replaced the cylinder at one time. However it is also missing the "Pro" sticker so this might be a frankensaw. The way to look for an adjustable oiler is to pull the clutch drum and look for the worm gear drive "notch" in the edge and then verify the actual drive worm between the brake band and clutch shoes. You might need a good flashlight for this.

You have the non-adjustable oiler. Oils whenever the engine is running. Half the oil goes to the bar... the other half ends up all over the saw.

Thank you good sir. What’s what I thought. Gonna have to break it to my chum that he doesn’t have a “pro” saw. Lol. He was pretty proud. I’ll tell him after I drink a few pints! Thanks again everyone for the help. Much appreciated!

He has a PROfessional saw. Just not a “PRO”.

There is nothing wrong with that oiler at all. In most cases, it oils more than the PRO oiler turned up to max.

All the oil output still goes through the bar, and at idle the saw is around 1/4 of running rpm.

I have both types and there is little difference in the real world.

Back