OK ... "462 vs 572"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, I never start mine with the decomp. Although I did when I first got it.

Interesting.

I had zero problems with it when I first got mine. Pulled without issue. Now...when I try to start without the decomp it'll bout rip my arm off unless I'm REAL stern about it. Starts easier and with less pulls generally if I use the decomp now so I do.

Just thinking out loud. I always considered the 70 cc class to wear 20-28 inch bars. If you find yourself needing a longer bar more than occasionally then buy a 90 cc saw. So for all practical purposes the 462 is the saw to have in this class, only losing on price. Am I right?

Yes.

Just thinking out loud. I always considered the 70 cc class to wear 20-28 inch bars. If you find yourself needing a longer bar more than occasionally then buy a 90 cc saw. So for all practical purposes the 462 is the saw to have in this class, only losing on price. Am I right?

Also worth mentioning that Stihl won't sell us heated handles here in the US. Because they're idiots. So, if a guy would rather have warm hands in the winter months, the 462 isn't the saw to have.

Not always it’s not uncommon to see a 70cc saw out on the west coast wearing a 32” bar with square chain it’s a different kind of falling that’s done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also worth mentioning that Stihl won't sell us heated handles here in the US. Because they're idiots. So, if a guy would rather have warm hands in the winter months, the 462 isn't the saw to have.

That's so dumb, why won't they sell those models of saws in the U.S.?

That's so dumb, why won't they sell those models of saws in the U.S.?

Wish I knew. About all we can do about it is call our local dealers and tell them about how we get saws shipped in from Canada or buy different brands to find heated handles. My dealer didn't even know they existed. He wasn't real pleased when I told him I got a heated 261 shipped from Canada for the same price as I could have bought a regular one from him. I suggested he bring it up with his rep.

99% of the united states simply doesn't need heated handles. Most of Wisconsin/Michigan don't need them either. I've never needed one here in south central WI.

I'm guessing it's not a 'trivial' thing to make heated handles available to a region. That work probably isn't profitable when 99% of that region won't be interested in that product.

99% of the united states simply doesn't need heated handles. Most of Wisconsin/Michigan don't need them either. I've never needed one here in south central WI.

I'm guessing it's not a 'trivial' thing to make heated handles available to a region. That work probably isn't profitable when 99% of that region won't be interested in that product.

It's not about "need" for me. I want heated handles. And if you've never used them, you really don't know what you're missing. I'm not sure about this, but I'm guessing that there are more people in WA, ID, MT, ND, MN, WI, MI, PA, NY, VT, NH, and ME than in all of Canada. Some of us would like those handles. Personally I like them A LOT. I bet some old school guys talked **** about the first guys who bought sleds with heated handles. Now they all have them. Because it's a nice feature. A guy doesn't NEED anti vibe on a saw either, but it's nice. We're living in 2019, not 1975.

Edited to add: you think heated handles are unnecessary, think about the ms880. 99.999999% of the population has zero need for one of them, but there they are, on the shelf.

It's not about "need" for me. I want heated handles. And if you've never used them, you really don't know what you're missing. I'm not sure about this, but I'm guessing that there are more people in WA, ID, MT, ND, MN, WI, MI, PA, NY, VT, NH, and ME than in all of Canada. Some of us would like those handles. Personally I like them A LOT. I bet some old school guys talked **** about the first guys who bought sleds with heated handles. Now they all have them. Because it's a nice feature. A guy doesn't NEED anti vibe on a saw either, but it's nice. We're living in 2019, not 1975.

Edited to add: you think heated handles are unnecessary, think about the ms880. 99.999999% of the population has zero need for one of them, but there they are, on the shelf.

I've been in NUMEROUS stihl dealers around me and the biggest saw I've ever seen on the shelf is the 661. I've asked most of them 'When's the last time you sold a 661?' Most of them really have to think about it. Couple say never.

If there was enough demand for heated handle saws in the US to make it worth the money to make them available...they would do it. There's not. Yet. Keep asking for them, if they get enough dealers asking, they'll decide it's worth it.

My point is that the 880 is available to order at any dealer. Good point about the 661 too. Not much demand, but there is is.

Also, I would like to mention that while you say that 99% of our region wouldn't be interested, my experience is otherwise. When I cut with other guys during cold months pretty much everyone wishes that their saws were heated like mine.

My point is that the 880 is available to order at any dealer. Good point about the 661 too. Not much demand, but there is is.

Also, I would like to mention that while you say that 99% of our region wouldn't be interested, my experience is otherwise. When I cut with other guys during cold months pretty much everyone wishes that their saws were heated like mine.

Yeap, and every time I'm cutting with my buddies that buy cheap big box store saws they always say 'Man, I wish I bought a Stihl', but when they buy another saw to replace the Poulan they can't get started, it's another $150 big box store saw. Wanting something and actually spending the money on that something are two very different things.

Try to get a group buy started....at first you'll have a bunch of people 'in' and then when it comes time to collect money...everybody's wife said no, or something came up and they don't have the money, or some other sob story. Happens every single time.

As a business, you can't really make million dollar decisions on 'But my buddies all say they want one' lol

Also, the 880 is potentially usable in any state. As is the 661. Heated grips are not. not even close. I get what you're saying, Stihl has niche products that are available. IMO the 880 and heated grips are not comparable.

Stihl's gotten weird, less the local Shop's Distributer is BS'ing for Lack of Effort? : Ok, Again. I Purchased an 880 a while ago. I went with Cannon 29 & a 33" running 404 full Skip. … I tried to order loops of "Stihl's 404" to accommodate. Because it was an oddball DL count, meaning I wasn't running a Stihl Bar … "Stihl" Refused to spin the loops, Claiming its a liability issue???

Addl: The local Dealer here has been great, however they don't spin chain. But they tried to have Stihl, upon ordering these loops, Spin the count and Stihl Refused.

Husqvarna Dealer: Right down the road … I just order Rolls and tie straps now & Husqvarna sews it up!

In All: Less I'm being mislead, or a wrong location, Stihl is or has become so corporate anymore that Husqvarna is where I'm partial anymore?

Stihl's gotten weird, less the local Shop's Distributer is BS'ing for Lack of Effort? : Ok, Again. I Purchased an 880 a while ago. I went with Cannon 29 & a 33" running 404 full Skip. … I tried to order loops of "Stihl's 404" to accommodate. Because it was an oddball DL count, meaning I wasn't running a Stihl Bar … "Stihl" Refused to spin the loops, Claiming its a liability issue???

Addl: The local Dealer here has been great, however they don't spin chain. But they tried to have Stihl, upon ordering these loops, Spin the count and Stihl Refused.

Husqvarna Dealer: Right down the road … I just order Rolls and tie straps now & Husqvarna sews it up!

In All: Less I'm being mislead, or a wrong location, Stihl is or has become so corporate anymore that Husqvarna is where I'm partial anymore?

Stihl isn't in the business of custom chain loops. I wouldn't expect them to sell you a custom chain...that doesn't make business sense for them.

My stihl dealer will make me Stihl chain in any driver count I want. I've gotten Stihl brand chain there for my Echo saw on several occasions which is an odd driver count according to Stihl. So it's not Stihl, it's your Stihl dealer that's the problem.

Stihl isn't in the business of custom chain loops. I wouldn't expect them to sell you a custom chain...that doesn't make business sense for them.

My stihl dealer will make me Stihl chain in any driver count I want. I've gotten Stihl brand chain there for my Echo saw on several occasions which is an odd driver count according to Stihl. So it's not Stihl, it's your Stihl dealer that's the problem.

That's the only sensible reason I could figure. … but Thanks none the less! … Stihl's Chain, good stuff.

Latest posts

Back