OK ... "462 vs 572"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl isn't in the business of custom chain loops. I wouldn't expect them to sell you a custom chain...that doesn't make business sense for them.

My stihl dealer will make me Stihl chain in any driver count I want. I've gotten Stihl brand chain there for my Echo saw on several occasions which is an odd driver count according to Stihl. So it's not Stihl, it's your Stihl dealer that's the problem.

That's the only sensible reason I could figure. … but Thanks none the less! … Stihl's Chain, good stuff.

The only Stihl dealer around that is still a traditional saw dealer and not selling saws on the side (which is quite a drive from me) will make loops in any DL count I want.

To be fair, those were stock saws.
From what I've heard, in stock form, the 462c is faster but after porting, the 572xp really comes alive... (longer stroke?) Again, that's what I've heard, it's purely conjecture.

From what I have seen on Hotsaws101's channel the 462 doesnt exactly become a beast when ported. The 461 on the other hand...
461 also has more displacement and stock for stock gets beat by the smaller 462. 461 also weighs more.

This basically means there's less overhead from the factory...there's not as much room for improvement. I would also expect a ported 72cc engine to be less powerful than a ported 76cc engine...in any saw.

Haven't done any importing to either the 462 or 461, but I believe one of the main limiting factors with the 462 is the small carburetor more than anything else. And all saw builders will achieve different results.

I've heard the same about the carb.
Doesn't the 461 have a longer stroke than the 462?..... I'm fairly certain the 572xp does as well.....?
From my experience, stroke really makes a difference when other parameters being equal.... Especially when ported.

From what I have seen on Hotsaws101's channel the 462 doesnt exactly become a beast when ported. The 461 on the other hand...

I seem to remember Mr Snelling made a beastly 462c awhile back. I remember he was very satisfied with the gains. Don't remember if he compared it to a 461 though.

I can't comment on the 572 but so far my 462 has been fine. Only running a 20" bar and it zips thru big oak just fine. It does clog a bit when noodling. I like the weight for a 70 cc saw.
Don’t cut straight down.
Angle it a bit and the noodles are shorter and break easier.

You guys don't even alert me, just start without me :cry:.
Mine is stock and drop by and run it. Brett has one, probably still in box or sitting in the kitchen.
In the box.
He prolly has a 462 in a box too but won't admit it.:crazy2:
It's in a box, but it's not at the house lol,

yet
;).
Me personally, am tired of chasing the latest and greatest. These $1000 to $1200 dollar saws can't do anything a 2166 or 7900 can't and you can buy one for half the cost. Now if you just want the newest fine but I will stick with low tech for awhile.
Light weight bars, I will invest in them.
It really depends on what you're doing with them. For work I prefer the mt/at saws, I enjoy the efficiency of them and the options on them.
I'll start by saying one thing they can do that the 2166 or 7900 can't, they can hold onto their bar nuts, that's gotta be worth something :).
Trust me I enjoy the 2166/72 2171/72 365/372's and the 7900/7910's, I have more of them than most, but for overall efficiency in cut the new saws take the old ones easily.
I’ve only done one new saw purchase and they did throw in the extended warranty without me having to purchase the canned fuel and all that. I asked about it and he said...I’ll give it to you anyways but on this saw you’ll never use it...which ended up being true lol.
Which husky was that Lee :D.

Don’t cut straight down.
Angle it a bit and the noodles are shorter and break easier.
I've tried all different angles Rob. Some wood seems worse than others. The new 261 MT is the same. I don't think stihl has the m-tronic saws programmed for noodling.:laugh:

Power, cut times & porting gains get discussed most with these new 70cc offerings, I think what often gets lost is just how nice they both are to use as a tool in your hands for hours on end. I think both saws are winners that 'they got right'. And each saw has quite different personalities.

Well, that's kinda what I was wondering in this post as I thought I've heard others express the same. Addl, The Local Husqvarna dealer is fed with Husqvarna, their Reps, etc.? … so, Thank You!

I should start a post on the topic alone. "The Pic Above was a BC heli Crew, so?" idk.
Our local Husqvarna dealer carried Stihl and dropped them for same reason. They do not bad mouth them and repair them with John Deere/Stihl dealer down the road. They will only say their support was lacking. Just say you do not care for Husqvarna, I do not care for Stihl, over priced, part prices are insane, parts are slow to receive and lack any kind of qualified dealer support in this area.

Our local Husqvarna dealer carried Stihl and dropped them for same reason. They do not bad mouth them and repair them with John Deere/Stihl dealer down the road. They will only say their support was lacking. Just say you do not care for Husqvarna, I do not care for Stihl, over priced, part prices are insane, parts are slow to receive and lack any kind of qualified dealer support in this area.

Even with a good Stihl dealer here, I agree with ya. Husqvarna overall is a lot less red tape. I prefer their saws foremost. And hope they continue.

Someone made a valid point. Though Stihl's #1 in sales, doesn't necessarily mean their more profitable. That 462 kicked out some good saws.

Even with a good Stihl dealer here, I agree with ya. Husqvarna overall is a lot less red tape. I prefer their saws foremost. And hope they continue.

Someone made a valid point. Though Stihl's #1 in sales, doesn't necessarily mean their more profitable. That 462 kicked out some good saws.
Still too early to make a solid call on either 462 or 572. Increased testing before releasing them was a good move for both manufacturers. I bet those test users maintained or cleaned their saws looking for problems. Turn them loose to general abusers of saws and it may have a different outcome. Maintaining to many is filling fuel and oil tanks and start cutting, no cleaning of fins, covers, coil area or air cleaner. Have seem some, so called pro's running rolled over bars, beat, dirty, grease, pitch covered saws and wonder why they would abuse money making tools to that point.

I remember putting 36’s on hopped 372’s depending on what we were cutting and where.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've run 36's on both of my ported 372's (old edition and xpw). They pulled them like my stock 395 but I couldn't lean on them as much. No problem with oiling in very pitchy Doug Fir bars buried. I was bucking a 60" log and tried all three saws in it with the same bar and chain to compare.

Latest posts

Back