OK.....Let's Get Into The Meat Of SRT !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been using the set up in the above picture more and more and I like it.
I want to name it, so I can be all cool like Tom D. He got to name some stuff, DEDA, is that right?
Anyway I figured Convertable Single Rope Techinque, on account of you can convert back and forth.
So I name it CSRT.

Ride a convertable

That gets my vote... And now you're in the 'cool guy' club.

I tried a version of your thing, except I ascend up a doubled rope, both ends on the ground. Instead of creating a giant loop and working below it, as with your fine system, I put in a midline butterfly in one of the two lines, sling and double-biner it to a local limb, and SRT off the remaining line.

Same as anchoring to the base of the tree, only the anchor point is up with me, in the crown. The sole reason for this is I find it far easier to footlock up into the crown on two parallel lines, rather than on a single.

I'm going to call mine bSRT, bastardized single rope technique. I'm less pure, but a few moments faster getting up there. -TM-

I'm sorry. I don't use climbing hitches, except in demonstrations to show how 99.99% of treeguys do it. I'm the other .01%

I didn't mean to steal your thunder. Worry not, as we all you're amongst the coolest anywhere, even without having a technique named after yourself.

In answering your question, though, I get up to a comfortable place (ascending up a doubled rope with dual-handled ascenders). Then I flipline in, and set the rig. There is a moment where I am not attached to the climbing line whilst I change over from ascent to working mode. -TM-

Originally posted by Tree Machine
There is a moment where I am not attached to the climbing line whilst I change over from ascent to working mode. -TM-

But you are still tied in with you flipline.

What do you use to work off of DdRT? A lock jack?

As for an update on my SRT usings, I have been using DdRT for most of my activities. On rec climbs I still use SRT, as it is faster to set up and faster to climb. Tom, have you found a SRT hitch yet?

For the last month or so I have been in nothing but hardwoods, mostly gum and oaks, and I have found that I like the 2:1 MA that DdRT offers. Oh and I am using a Swabiish. I need to order some sta set, so I can get my VT tuned up. However I like the Swabiish's short action, where you dont have to compress the braids to move the coils.

For ascending high into a spreading canopy, I perfer SRT, unless the limbs are close enough to "walk" up them. On pine removals, I still perfer SRT as it is much faster for me.

Horse of a slightly different color

But you are still tied in with you flipline.
Yes, always, Ascend up a dual rope with dual ascenders, generally to the first limb, though sometimes all the way up to my tie-in point (it just all depends). Flipline in for safety. Remove ascenders, rig into work / descent mode, do the treeguy thing.
What do you use to work off of DdRT? A lock jack?
No, I do not use a lockjack. I borrowed one once to take it for a 'test drive', and though novel and well-designed, I found it painfully slow and imposed a number of limitations I'm not used to, especially it didn't allow me to flip seamlessly back and forth from SRT to DbRT-- that is DbRT as I practice it, which is two parallel lines, both ends on the ground.
What dp you use?
DP? Descending piece? It's mechanical, and I'll refer back to the opening thread, 15 pages ago....
For the moment let's keep mechanical devices out of this and concentrate on hitches.
-TM-

Back