Okay you Husqvarna 372XP experts... a couple questions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I was looking at the 2019 Husqvarna sales catalog. In the middle of the catalog where the main saw advertisement is located, it lists the 372XP as allowing a 28" maximum guide bar. Yet towards the back of the catalog in the spec's section, it shows the 372XP as allowing a 32" maximum guide bar.
Question:
1) What is the official maximum bar length on a 372XP, as recommended by the manufacturer?

Every photo I've seen shows a 372XP as having a round, pleated, automotive-style air filter... like a paper element style.
But I recently saw a youtube video of a guy installing a round air filter on a 372XP that has the washable perforated nylon air filter element. Additionally, I thought I remembered seeing a square perforated nylon cartridge air filter for a 372XP... just can't find it now.
Question:
2) What air filter options are available for a 372XP, either OEM or aftermarket?

Are you taking about winter filters vs flocked filters? Low top vs high top?

I am an OEM type of dude, so i would stick with OEM husqvarna air filter the saw came with, the standard tan pleated one if your'e in Midwest, otherwise as stated there are different ones for low top heated handle versions for colder climates. I like 20" bar for 70cc in hardwood, but 24" is also OK (both full comp chain), though guys out west do use 28" or even 32" with skip comp chain in softwoods, kind of depends on your application and liking. Pretty much the same for any 70cc from any manufacturer....light bars are nice for those longer applications

The high top filter OEM works really well, I would stick with it.
The website says 28” max

for a stock saw I’m pretty sure this is to ensure a long life. With the stock muffler and porting, anything longer may work the engine too hard, which may lead to overheating. I don’t know if this is actually the case, but just a thought non the less.
the Oiler is designed with the max guide bar length in mind, but yes I have seen people run 32” bars.

IMO, again just my opinion, running a 32 might be fine if you don’t plan on burying it. Longer bars really help with ground cutting as your less likely to lean over. Bucking firewood makes the job easier on my back with a longer bar imo.
I can say that the 372 really is a great saw, the only gripe I have with it is the ****** oem plastic boot adapter for the intake. Once it’s been mucked with, it tends to not seal properly. So if you plan on taking the carb off, be warned :)
Hutzl makes a great aluminum aftermarket replacement. I haven’t tried it yet as I got my oem one to seal after rigging up some wire. But if I have to remove the carb again I will try the aluminum one.

In soft wood, a 32 inch is the absolute upper limit when using the optional hard av springs and turning up the oiler to max output. Typically a 28 to 30 inch is quite the norm for PNW timber work when using a 372 or ms440 for that matter. They both will pull a 36 inch but the balance is way off, and oiler is marginal at best, all while maxing out the av system

Are you taking about winter filters vs flocked filters? Low top vs high top?

My objective for the 372 XP is to get the perforated 100% nylon polymer filter that can be re-cleaned indefinitely... just like the older Echo EVL saws have. No fuzzy velvety stuff on it.
You start every day with a brand new fresh air filter, and never have to replace it... unless of course you slip with a screwdriver and put a hole in it. Even then you could put a spot of Seal-All to plug the tear.

My objective for the 372 XP is to get the perforated 100% nylon polymer filter that can be re-cleaned indefinitely... just like the older Echo EVL saws have. No fuzzy velvety stuff on it.
You start every day with a brand new fresh air filter, and never have to replace it... unless of course you slip with a screwdriver and put a hole in it. Even then you could put a spot of Seal-All to plug the tear.

Flocked filter is best one to use. It can be washed out and reused. Mesh filters are for winter use.

In soft wood, a 32 inch is the absolute upper limit when using the optional hard av springs and turning up the oiler to max output. Typically a 28 to 30 inch is quite the norm for PNW timber work when using a 372 or ms440 for that matter. They both will pull a 36 inch but the balance is way off, and oiler is marginal at best, all while maxing out the av system
Why does the AV system need to be upgraded for the larger bar? Are the springs not strong enough to support the bar weight?

thx

Latest posts

Back