Olathe 172 Knowledge??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnjgormley@comc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bought a chipper in pieces this week. Has a recently rebuilt 4cyl gas Ford, not yet installed. Chipper has a label indicating it's an Olathe Model 172. Has what appears to be a 12" drum (if width is the measure).

Project phoenix will be to derust, examine, repair, reassemble and use for my own (3 acre) personal use.

Looking for any info on this Olathe. Toro claims no manuals exist, for a Model 172. I believe I've located a good source for knives/beds. Curious if any members have experience with this unit....advice to a newbie. Seems the original Model 172 MAY have had 6 cyl....so wonder about the 4 I've got.

I saw davidinatree owned one but hasn't been on the site for a while. Anyone know his whereabouts?

Thanks in advance.

Why did you buy a disassambled chipper, and not a ready to use one ?:confused:

I'm retired. I have more time than I have money, the price was right, and the engine alone was worth the price.

oathe was a company out of kansas that went bankrup years back, good luck with the machine, youll never be able to get any parts. knives or anything for it. there worth there $$ in scrap metal tho

Critical parts are available!

I can buy knives/bed knives - several sources...and checked that out before I bought. Bearings are standard. Belts are standard. Is there something else one couldn't live without from an out of date manufacturer?:confused:

I can buy knives/bed knives - several sources...and checked that out before I bought. Bearings are standard. Belts are standard. Is there something else one couldn't live without from an out of date manufacturer?:confused:

I came across one as well and inquired some info about them on this site and one post came up that they had some problem throwing knives. So you might want to give that a good look as well.

The 172 is a pretty basic machine. If you are a good mechanic you should do ok with it. The 700 series threw blades if you didn't watch them.

Bought a chipper in pieces this week. Has a recently rebuilt 4cyl gas Ford, not yet installed. Chipper has a label indicating it's an Olathe Model 172. Has what appears to be a 12" drum (if width is the measure).

Project phoenix will be to derust, examine, repair, reassemble and use for my own (3 acre) personal use.

Looking for any info on this Olathe. Toro claims no manuals exist, for a Model 172. I believe I've located a good source for knives/beds. Curious if any members have experience with this unit....advice to a newbie. Seems the original Model 172 MAY have had 6 cyl....so wonder about the 4 I've got.

I saw davidinatree owned one but hasn't been on the site for a while. Anyone know his whereabouts?

Thanks in advance.
Hi, did you ever find any literature on the 172 model?
i just bought one in complete condition, but need the spec. on the clearances or manual

Hi, did you ever find any literature on the 172 model?
i just bought one in complete condition, but need the spec. on the clearances or manual
I bid on one years ago but didn't get it. Thank God as the chipper was always throwing knives. Too bad you couldn't find a different chipper head. I wouldn't trust it.

Back