old 60s-70s chainsaw questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yodes

Reaction score
Hi i just joined this great site, allready learned a fair bit from it over the past couple days. Not sure if im posting in the right catigory so let me know. I just got a couple old school saws off craigslist 80$. From what i can gather thier both great reliable saws and im excide to get chopping.

Both early 70s or late 60s i believe, One is a pioneer 2270 with 20" bar, the other is a homelite automatic 16", something or other. Both run great especially the Pioneer, very impressed. Im hoping i can get some info on them and have someone identify the homelite model since the model number and part of the seriel has been polished off by a thief.. Heres some pics
content://media/external/file/67541

They both say to use 16:1 on the gas cap is that ok with todays 2 stroke oil ive been getting mixed results on the answer. Owner was using 16:1 on both with sthil oil. Will they take a regular chain? What are some things to watch for with old saws? The homelites pull cord isnt getting any grip when pulled slowly Like its slipping is this a big fix?
Sorry about all the questions :)

Attachments

• 20180517_225500.jpg
    20180517_225500.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 20180517_224825.jpg
    20180517_224825.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 20180517_225020.jpg
    20180517_225020.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 28
  • 20180517_190820.jpg
    20180517_190820.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 31
  • 20180517_190646.jpg
    20180517_190646.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 30
You 'll be fine at a 32/1 mix with modern semi or full synth oil bear in mind the saws you have don't have AV or chain brakes so you may find the vibration may make your hands/fingers go numb if used for a long time period the Homelite saw you have appears to be manual chain oiling could be auto with manual override both brands were rated in their time although by modern standards they are not screamers but produce the "umph" at lower revs & while not at the same level as modern kit they will certainly get your wood cut & if looked after, suffer very little in regard to problems if you can source non E fuel all the better

I collect Homelites, my rule of thumb is over 70cc's and bars over 24". But, in the past couple months, I've picked up 4 small limbing saws for a couple bucks each. I still have a couple of my Dad's saws he bought new in the 70's, a 100CC Super 1050, and a little 43CC 150 Automatic. I used to have several cans of different mix for the different era saws. Several years ago I switched to all 50:1 Stihl synthetic. I run the one Super 1050 with a 36" bar for nothing but milling and it's been running on 50:1 for at least 5 years, and runs strong.

As stated above, pull the recoil off and check for damage or missing parts. One of the little saws I bought recently was a Super EZ, I got for $2. It was the dirtiest saw I've ever seen. Had honey suckle wrapped all around the clutch, inside the recoil was dirt and oil packed to the shape of the cover. Cleaned it up and it runs fine.

There is a "chainsaw" forum farther down the menu with a brand specific "sticky".

Welcome to the site, and enjoy your old saws.

I just noticed you said it doesn't grip "when pulled slowly". But it does grip when you pull fast, because it's running? I forget if it's centrifugal force that throws the dogs out or not. Anyway, all of mine engage even when pulled slowly. Makes me think more on the lines of a good cleaning. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the info and sorry for the delayed responce, been busy. The pioneer has been working great. The homelite needs some parts i cleaned it up but the starter assembly was slipping untill a spring broke holding on the friction shoes i think thier called or what rarefish calls dogs? Im looking for some online but cant find much and am also ordering a new starter cup since mine is scored very bad. Found one with the same part number on ebay. Anyone know the name of the homelite? It will make it much easier to find parts and maybe even a manual. Heres the part i got https://m.ebay.ca/itm/GENUINE-REMIN...ER-67827-NOS-OEM-B10-/232732166035?nav=SEARCH

Back