Old Barns

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natster

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Old Barns. They watched many things. Men working. Fixing wagon wheels. Greasing bearings. Filing points. Stacks of hay. Repairing farm equipment.
If old barns could talk. We'd hear many a story. 'Bout the "good old days".
IMG_20191225_125130.jpg
I hope this old barn gets repair. It's got loads of circle saw milled 1"x12" lumber in it. Virgin southern yellow pine. It has lots of sap in it, preserving it.
The ravages of time, does that to us too. As I age, and the barn ages, I'm reminded of the temporary nature of earthly goods. There is no way of knowing what tomorrow may bring.
But, that old barn could tell us stories of the past.
Nate

One of the saddest things I can think of is seeing an old barn falling down. Here in the Northeast it’s especially prevalent. The idea that a farm could at one time afford to build large two and even three story barns and now can’t even afford to keep a roof on it is depressing beyond words.

Part of the problem is people’s lack of appreciation for them . My neighbor died several years ago and the new owner tore down the barn and stuffed in a dumpster. It was small and in poor shape but when I told him the interior walls were chestnut boards he just shrugged and turned away. History lost to a combination of apathy and ignorance.

When one of my Uncles died, a nephew inherited his farm. Barn was about 80 feet long and the old farmhouse was 2 stories. Both structures were made from chestnut and probably dated from the mid 1800s. He had the local fire department burn both down. What a waste.

When one of my Uncles died, a nephew inherited his farm. Barn was about 80 feet long and the old farmhouse was 2 stories. Both structures were made from chestnut and probably dated from the mid 1800s. He had the local fire department burn both down. What a waste.
I sure wouldn't want to live in anything that old, all those narrow doors& stairways, tiny bathrooms, leaky windows. Nothing meets code anymore, I lived in that stuff all my life. Burn it down & build something you like!

288671cd33fe8063f40ec21a5645381b.plist

This old barn was about to fall over. An old friend bought it and had me do a full build out to make it a residence. We were able to make it a split story home of nearly 6k sq ft and all of the modern amenities.
87a7a50572868ab99cc459eafcc38c50.plist
29ce84bcc598225ebc65ccd071938091.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I sure wouldn't want to live in anything that old, all those narrow doors& stairways, tiny bathrooms, leaky windows. Nothing meets code anymore, I lived in that stuff all my life. Burn it down & build something you like!
Really . Something over 200 years old not meeting today's "code" . Today's code means nothing I see modern homes failing regularly. Foundations failing inadequate framing give me a break. You really think homes or barns built today are going to be standing 200 years from now. My greatgrand kids will be using my barn and home. Both well over 200 years old

Really . Something over 200 years old not meeting today's "code" . Today's code means nothing I see modern homes failing regularly. Foundations failing inadequate framing give me a break. You really think homes or barns built today are going to be standing 200 years from now. My greatgrand kids will be using my barn and home. Both well over 200 years old
Your great grandkids won't even care what you like today. Try telling the building inspector that the code means nothing.
I could live in a teepee, buildings mean nothing to me.

I guess you don’t spend any time in museums either? Hand craftsmanship is wasted on some folks.
Ps. Preservation often trumps building code in communities that care.

Your great grandkids won't even care what you like today. Try telling the building inspector that the code means nothing.
I could live in a teepee, buildings mean nothing to me.
Lots of places have no inspector and or permits to build . Well my grandson likes old cars ,hunting and working on my property . I would assume he would instill that into his kids.

My garage at my rental property(my old home) is built well over code . Code is usually the minimum allowed by law.

As wood ages,it's grain drys and the sap crystallizes changing the caricature and density changes along with it's color and natural patina. If it's old growth, its ring structure is tighter and stronger and has a better looking grain. You can make a new piece of wood look old with a pho finish but no mater haw you try you just can make it look and feel the same.
People travel around looking for old barns and salvage the wood to make all kinds o f stuff. It's become an industry all it's own. At least someone is making some use of that old wood rather then just pushing them over and burning the wood.

Guitar makers have spent millions coming up with a way to age wood like it's been aged over time. It's how and the new vintage guitars are made and cost so much. It changes the actual tone of the tone woods that they use. Making them look and sound like 50 year old guitars.

Back