Old chimney

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
We just bought a new "old" house. From what we can gather it's about 120 years old. The all brick chimney appears to be in very good condition. I have no real intentions of installing a wood furnace at this time but I am curios. If the chimney does infact look very solid top to bottom. Why would a liner be needed? Granted I would want to have a video cam ran through it before use, but talking to a few different chimney guys they all seem to immediately go to a liner without so much as looking at it.

Installation of a solid fuel burning appliance in that chimney would require a liner to meet code. The liner is required for safety reasons. Carbon monoxide as well as flames can escape through small cracks/voids between the bricks, which could leak into your house causing a possible fire or death to your family. Even an oil or gas fired appliance should require a liner. If there is already an appliance venting into that flue, a wood furnace would be out of the question anyways.

Other than not wanting to spend the money, why wouldn't who want the liner?

Back