Old Days

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And back before ANSI and PPE. Here is a shot of me pruning an oak in 2008 around the time I founded my company. I think I can count 5 things "wrong" with my technique and safety gear. Plus notice I am using a Blake's hitch -- how things change! And an old leather Weaver saddle (that was too big). Arborplex rope. A long pigtail for my saw instead of a strap and ring to clip it to the saddle so it doesn't swing all over the place. And a "rescue 8"; I used to come down with a double rope rappel instead of burning the rope - but I wouldn't back it up with a prussik; if I had to stop to clear some hangers, I would put a couple half hitches on it. BigOakPrune 003.jpg

I used to climb with two wire core flip lines, throwing one and then the other over a crotch, then position my rope. I learned really quick to wear a helmet when I had the snap hit me on the top of the head. Back in 1987, when I worked for a tree service in Portland, no helmets or chaps were supplied, and we weren't trusted to have safety glasses because we might lose them! They must have been the spendy impact glass type instead of the 6 dollar ones we have now that are basically disposable. And of course chippers had no safety features, and I almost chipped a guy backing up, but that is another story. Spiked prune jobs, of course, but we were told to hook the back side of the tree relative to the house. One of the first trees I climbed was a maple that looked like it had been attacked by Velociraptor on meth, after I climbed around 20 ft. to cut one limb.

Back