Old Echo 302 replacement bar and chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My folks had one of these, early~mid 1970's purchase.
If memeory serves me, it was a 302S.
Had a 14" hard nose bar with 1/4" pitch chain on it.

I'll have to look around and see if it's still around here somewhere.
IF it is, I'll post the bar numbers.

Quick follow up! I ordered the 12" bar and chain combo that oregon recommended and upon trying to put it on (first time actually doing any of this) i discovered the sprocket was 8 tooth and i believe 1/4" afterall. Ordered a new Oregon 3/8 6 tooth sprocket (part number was 28000 just like the catalog said). That should be here monday and then i "should" be good to go. We shall see....in the mean time I came across a brand new Echo CS590 Timber Wolf for $260 at a pawn shop/ammunition place here in Reno. Wasnt sure i would be able to register for warranty but when i put all my info i simply listed Home Depot as the place i bought it and it registered just fine. Used that a few times now and wow does it rip....pretty stoked on my 260 dollar purchase. Now just need the echo for small branches. probably shoulda got the 14" bar but ohh well, got the 12" bar and chain for about 30 bucks and after the 18$ sprocket, im about 50 bucks total into this saw....stoked!

Newbie question for you guys. Im trying to swap out the 1/4" sprocket with the 3/8" one i got for my echo cs302 but when i try to turn the nut on the sprocket it pulls hard on the pull cord (forgive my lack of technical terms). Is this normal? Im hesitant to crank on it...am i doing this wrong? Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20190805_170752.jpg
    20190805_170752.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
Check the thread on the crankshaft end - it is most probably a left-hand thread... If so, the nut needs to be turned clockwise (right) to loosen it.

Thanks SEAM, i tried that as well and it wont seem to loosen...it just turns and sounds like the crankshaft is turning with it

Sure the crankshaft is turning... you either need to block it using a piston stopper (commercially available) or use an impact wrench (not too powerful) against the compression of the piston. Check YouTube, there should be zillions of suggestions for loosening a small engine crankshaft nut (or clutch assy). I prefer the impact wrench version using an electric impact driver with nut attachment. Never ever stop the piston (or crankshaft) when using an impact tool. The compression of the engine (spark plug installed!) usually is enough to loosen the nut/clutch.

okay thanks a bunch. it appears you are correct....just need to find an impact driver now haha! thanks again

Back