old hay bailer for a splitter????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
guy i talked to today said that i should use an old hay bailer to split wood.
he said "all ya gotta do" is take the part that compresses the hay and weld in a splitter.
I dont think i will go this way as it sounds like i could end up dead.
I remember when i was a kid this old gut with 2 fingers used to split wood with a huge wheel with axe heads welded to it.
it was about 5 foot around and i think it was from an old tractor.
had a cats iron hub and was powered with a electric motor .
seemed to work but man if you ever fell into it i dont think you would be tellin that story at a bar.
shayne

Cool, a wheel of death! A baler wouldn't have the psi strength to split wood. They made some pretty haywire stuff back then, I remember seing a tv movie years ago, they were cutting firewood with a big circular saw, it fell over and the blade killed a kid. Then all the safety stuff came along, good thing, now it has gone too far.

NO, a baler would not be a good splitter. Probably wouldn't last out a season as they are not built for that much 'push'. Maybe spit the real easy to split stuff but the mechanics would fail in sort order. Stroke is also too short to be realistic.

Harry K

turnkey4099 said:
NO, a baler would not be a good splitter. Probably wouldn't last out a season as they are not built for that much 'push'. Maybe spit the real easy to split stuff but the mechanics would fail in sort order. Stroke is also too short to be realistic.

Harry K

LOL... You're right...it wouldn't work. But it sure brings some pictures to mind,doesn't it? Would the split pieces be three wire or two wire...and how many to the ton? Would we have to wait 'til the dew was off in the morning before splitting? How many cuttings a year? I wish I knew somebody that could cartoon...this would be funny.

what a time they lived in.
I take it all for granted when i go to a steel shop and buy what i need and buzz away.
then out comes the grinder to fix errors or the plasma to draw a line.
back then all you could do was stuff like this.
and that was way faster than splitting with an axe.
how frustrating it must have been to have an idea but no materials to do it.
a hydraulic log splitter is very basic but go out and build one with a chunk of iron and a hammer.
as far as safety i think if you were not tired or drunk you could be ok at keeping all your body parts but i am sure that hard to split log that didnt get set up right claimed a few days off for some.
but it was the thinkers that life today what it is.
great pic:laugh:

thanks for the replies

shayne

I'll try to get some video of that beast at work. I have an acquaintance who uses one in a firewood processing business on a daily basis. It may take awhile.

Latest posts

Back