Old Homelite...OK What Piece Is Missing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billygoat

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I’m fixing up an old-ish (circa 2000 I think?) Homelite 16” chainsaw with a good motor and clutch but it leaks oil like mad, as in the oil pours out as fast as I pour it in. I’m no expert, but I’m pretty sure something is missing here (not the steel plates on either side of the bar, I have those--but the bottom channel here just pours oil straight out the front). Does anyone know what it’s called, what it does, where to get parts or how to make them? I’m guessing it’s some sort of valve? I’m handy and can print in ABS which would likely resist the oil.

NVo7r29.jpg
y6yOrhT.jpg

It looks like the chain tensioner screw is missing, and that hole doesn't look factory.

It looks like the chain tensioner screw is missing, and that hole doesn't look factory.
I was wondering about that hole...it sure does look like it was punched in there as an afterthought, or on accident. I bet I could seal it up with silicone gasket maker if I clean it really well with brake cleaner though.

A chain tensioner makes sense! I'm guessing it's a long screw with a nut that has a small bar/nubbin protruding that goes into one of the holes in bar? I definitely can't print that, are these parts pretty generic? Is it dangerous to just pull on the bar and tighten down the two nuts to get the tension right?

You're fine to use it without the tensioner, but you might want to find a replacement inner bar plate so the oiler lines up correctly. It appears the oil can escape out the slot down behind the back stud.

The ONLY place you should see oil coming out is that round hole above and to the left of the left bar stud. If your seeing oil coming out of the channel thats below the two studs you have damage, or its been messed up. This is kinda a jerry rig fix, but if you empty the oil tank, lay the saw on its left side, spray out the channel with carb cleaner, let it dry, fill that channel with 5200 sealant, or yamabond, or some other REALLY good sealant, and make it flat so its not interfering with the bar, it might stop it from pouring out. Maybe a hot glue gun? You can live with no tensioner with this saw. These are pretty good saws. Or go to parts tree or find out how to replace that black plastic part.

I was wondering about that hole...it sure does look like it was punched in there as an afterthought, or on accident. I bet I could seal it up with silicone gasket maker if I clean it really well with brake cleaner though.

A chain tensioner makes sense! I'm guessing it's a long screw with a nut that has a small bar/nubbin protruding that goes into one of the holes in bar? I definitely can't print that, are these parts pretty generic? Is it dangerous to just pull on the bar and tighten down the two nuts to get the tension right?
Yes, you can run the saw without the tensioner, but if the bar nuts vibrate loose or if the bar nose hits something and is pushed back, the bar could contact the clutch drum, causing rapid wear on the drum and bar, and the chain could slip off and damage things as well. The tensioner should look like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Homelite-R...3QAAOSwLmlbSuLA:sc:USPSFirstClass!27591!US!-1

Back