Old John Deere & Echo's... Boat Anchors or Saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weimedog

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I really never experienced that series of saw....and one was given to me. A 'Yellow" one. For my typical drama and non sensical reasons it was time to engage and see what that saw was about...dragged it out of a corner and it pretty much needed gas and a spark plug to make it start and idle. I am IMPRESSED with the quality of that saw, materials, details fit and finish. And ironically the very same day I was working on the "Yellow" 60cc Echo, I ended up with another "Orange" Echo in the 70cc class. But this video was stuck together as I transition away from the subjects done this last month into the future. Loose ends and details...put a Holzfforma g372xt that was a huge frustration into the testing cycle. I think I had that saw on three video's failing before I was able to get it to run "well". That took a complete tear down and modification regiment. And I still really don't know what I did t solve it's issue other than now it runs well and needs to be endurance tested.

Also had some run time with a Jonsered 70e...kind of my fall back position on vintage saws...they always start and I get work done with that saw. Also a Holzfforma Joncutter g2500 made an appearance. A train. Those two Echo's. Splitting firewood....but the real interesting thing really for many is none of that. Kind of dawned on me when I finished posting....and watch it in snippets. ( Can't stand listening to myself, so after editing a video ...I'm done with ME :) )The fellow I ask to test that g372xt has Husqvarna's for his logging operations, including a 572. One of the first across the pond. And now a couple of years later....you can see how it fits into his operation. To those who pay attention there is a very subtle message in this. I have seen and heard the same for decades and every time a "new" bling comes along in the saw world it's usually the same metrics used after a couple of years ....

+2

Tough, reliable, decent grunt for the cc's but not the type of saws that put a big grin on your face when you run them.

Most of the newer Echo offerings are light years better in every area........IMHO......

My little John Deere 30(echo 302s) is a little crackle box figured out that I can put a 18 inch bar on it and it will still pull through well seasoned black walnut that bury the bar

You gotta love that 70e.I have a really nice low hour one with a bum Sema ignition. I really liked that saw I have 3 621s great saws but I still liked the 70 better.
Kash
I just fixed a cs-750evl with an oregon module and the coil parts from one of the points saws. Let me know if you want more info to get your 70e working. These saws are great except for the ignition modules in the "evl" models and the JD models w/ "e"

Thanks telecaster but my 70 is at my summer residence and I will not be there until ice breaks up in May I will contact you then if that is okay.
Kash.
Just noticed big boner on my part my saw is a Jonsereds 70 sorry about that.

Those old echo saws were great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a 70v here looking to sell it. It's funny my grandpa had it in his pole barn I asked him about it, he said that old thing hasn't been started longer than I have been alive. He gave it to he told me it prolly wouldnt start, so I took it home put a small amount of mixed has in it, pulled choke it almost hit I thought no way, turned choke off pulled it again and it acted as if it never had been sitting there like a beast of a machine that it is. Lol! So as I said there in disbelief it was purring like a kitten I could help to love the powerful sound of the 2 stroke motor. It sound like a fishing story I swear no one will believe me when tell them but, I see u have some amazing experience with the same chainsaw. I would like to sell it but not to anyone that don't have the same respect and appreciation for the saw as I do. I know the value of this saw but out of curiosity, what would you give for one?.

I really never experienced that series of saw....and one was given to me. A 'Yellow" one. For my typical drama and non sensical reasons it was time to engage and see what that saw was about...dragged it out of a corner and it pretty much needed gas and a spark plug to make it start and idle. I am IMPRESSED with the quality of that saw, materials, details fit and finish. And ironically the very same day I was working on the "Yellow" 60cc Echo, I ended up with another "Orange" Echo in the 70cc class. But this video was stuck together as I transition away from the subjects done this last month into the future. Loose ends and details...put a Holzfforma g372xt that was a huge frustration into the testing cycle. I think I had that saw on three video's failing before I was able to get it to run "well". That took a complete tear down and modification regiment. And I still really don't know what I did t solve it's issue other than now it runs well and needs to be endurance tested.

Also had some run time with a Jonsered 70e...kind of my fall back position on vintage saws...they always start and I get work done with that saw. Also a Holzfforma Joncutter g2500 made an appearance. A train. Those two Echo's. Splitting firewood....but the real interesting thing really for many is none of that. Kind of dawned on me when I finished posting....and watch it in snippets. ( Can't stand listening to myself, so after editing a video ...I'm done with ME :) )The fellow I ask to test that g372xt has Husqvarna's for his logging operations, including a 572. One of the first across the pond. And now a couple of years later....you can see how it fits into his operation. To those who pay attention there is a very subtle message in this. I have seen and heard the same for decades and every time a "new" bling comes along in the saw world it's usually the same metrics used after a couple of years ....

I have a old John Deere v65 chainsaw don't know if this is the same one but they look the same. I would be willing to sell it if you are interested or know someone?

Latest posts

Back