Old limb wound....decaying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSnot

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 100+ yr. silver maple on my property that has had a very large limb removed over 10 years ago. My concern is if this wound is rotting the tree and if a possible remedy to keep rain and snow from entering the wound would be benificial.5A957FCF-9392-43ED-87F7-730F361545E6.jpeg1638BC34-BDA4-4442-8FDC-0BB1D50568A2.jpegFFA08A34-06B5-4BC1-82C1-07459026AF10.jpeg

This is common with Silver Maples. The tree will continue to rot - silver maple doesn't respond well to severe damage like that. Your big concern now are the branches around the wound. The attachment is weak and as they get larger, there will be a danger of them breaking off and falling. Are there any targets under them? Children play area, buildings, driveway? On the plus side, the tree is trying to compartmentalize the wound, indicating it is still healthy. You might look into reduction of the limbs to reduce the strain on the attachment.

That rot will continue down. Really not much you can do to prevent it. Covering it tightly ensures that whenever dry out. Leaving exposed allows it to dry out when it is hot and dry. My bet is if that you dig around there a little the rot doesn't go that deep at all. It will continue to progress and like @buzz sawyer said the long-term problem is how much strength do the adjacent branches lose at their attachment point?

This is common with Silver Maples. The tree will continue to rot - silver maple doesn't respond well to severe damage like that. Your big concern now are the branches around the wound. The attachment is weak and as they get larger, there will be a danger of them breaking off and falling. Are there any targets under them? Children play area, buildings, driveway? On the plus side, the tree is trying to compartmentalize the wound, indicating it is still healthy. You might look into reduction of the limbs to reduce the strain on the attachment.
Thank you, I will look at having it trimmed up to elevate the weight of the branch seeming coming out next to the wound. Its proximity to own house is a little concern. It’s is such an enormous tree I’d hate to loose. I am currently dealing with 5 same aged Ash trees damaged by to the ash borer.

Thank you, I will look at having it trimmed up to elevate the weight of the branch seeming coming out next to the wound. Its proximity to own house is a little concern. It’s is such an enormous tree I’d hate to loose. I am currently dealing with 5 same aged Ash trees damaged by to the ash borer.
Don't let them just hack off half the branch, that would make thing worse. Needs to be done by a certified arborist.
How close is it to the house? Picture?

I’m looking into ideas of building a big birdhouse to basically “hover” over the top of the area to keep rain and snow out so it can remain dry and hopefully curb more rot.

Back