Old ltime logging finds

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArtB

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Where we live was logged in 1905 for the; big stuff (. 6 ft DBH D FIR). Still have a few of the stumps, one over 11 ft dia.
When I cleared for our house 1971 found a number of 1-1/4" wire rope pieces and some pieces of chain and a wedge and saw blade (misery whip). Best find was a 15 inch block for the 1-1/4" wire rope that had enough grease on it I was able to refurbish it.
Just yesterday, DW is digging in the garden, and turns up a 1902 indian head penny - thinking it was dropped by a logger? Would have searched till he found it if had dropped a gold piece !

Interesting how the indian head penny shows up after so many years - nothing like England or France though to find a hoard of old roman silver.

That's neat. First day I bought this place 20 yrs ago, I was turning over soil to make a garden and found an Indian arrowhead. And I've heard that kids with metal detectors found an old Spanish "piece of eight" in the field out back. (Europeans have been living here since the mid-1600s...)

Amazing (at least to me) that your D Fir stump still abides after all these years...

Amazing (at least to me) that your D Fir stump still abides after all these years...

All 20 or so of them! I did cutoff the top 3 ft off a 4 ft dia stump about 10 years ago. The inner 400 years were still solid wood about the outer foot rotten. Roots all solid.

Old growth stumps and snags are fine and dandy till you’re trying to save out a big second growth then you cuss out the old guys for using boards.

I think our coolest find on our place is what’s left of an old log pond and saw mill including a loading spar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was on a newly dozed access road and found old wagon, buckboard axles and metal.

Along another access road there was a foundation we’re its said that Thomas Jefferson had his horse shoed. If you ran your hand in the leaves the leather harnesses were still there and were in good condition. Of course they bull dozed the area for a parking lot.

As I was running the log splitter I had a purplish stained area in the wood. Turns out a large screw in eye bolt was inside the tree the wood grew around it. I was lucky I just put a new .404” chain on the 2100.

Found this old cabin in the woods, maybe it housed a crew making tree coal for our steel industry. This is just 15 miles from Sandvik steel.

They usually doesn't have any of the walls left, just the hearth, so this may be a more recent cabin used for something else. IMG_20180611_140502.jpg

Big block and swivel hook (first post) forgot to add the photo when first posted. (refurbished and painted block)
Apparently used with 1-1/4" wire rope, Found in back yard 1974 or so, area logged circa 1903. 15 miles SE of Seattle.

20180614_103830[1].jpg
typical stump in back yard, 4 ft pallet at bottom, the springboard notches were still visible 45 years ago, pretty much rotted off the outside now.
20180614_103457[1].jpg

Found this old cabin in the woods, maybe it housed a crew making tree coal for our steel industry. This is just 15 miles from Sandvik steel.

They usually doesn't have any of the walls left, just the hearth, so this may be a more recent cabin used for something else. View attachment 657640

What species of Fir (pine?) are those in Sweden?

What species of Fir (pine?) are those in Sweden?

It's Scots pine, Pinus sylvestris.
We have some pinus contorta as well, not domestic though, brought here from NA.

The spruce is Picea abies, Norway spruce.

I found in a foundation in the woods it was a blacksmiths shop. In the leaves was old leather horse harnesses. Rumor has it tha Jefferson had his horse shoed there. I would cut new access roads to virgin timber and I found old carriage and buck board castiron parts. The area was an old dump.

I love this thread. I Found some sort of cable yarder with trees growing literally into it! The cab had moss and weeds growing out of the seat. This was back when I lived in Baker National forest (PNW). I would spend days in 4wd cruising gnarly logging roads in my lifted Toyota just exploring. I was surprised I came across other random broken down abandoned equipment way back in the forests. I’d stop and watch active logging operations cable yarding up the mountainsides. Really glad to be back in Ohio and wouldn’t move again but man the PNW and BC was freaking amazing. So much logging stuff just laying in those mountains long forgotten. This would have been back around 2000 to 2002.

When I worked in the Umatilla district with the USFS in the 70's I came across a stump that was 12' across. Since it was near a meeting point that had me there for a couple days a week for several months I started counting the rings. It came past 2,000 so I finally stopped. Quite impressive for a non redwood.

In the late 50's before the Columbia and Snake river were flooded I would go exploring the small caves along the river. Found a large amount of obsidian pieces along with spear and arrow pieces. My best find was a woven grass mat that was about a square foot. When I was in my 20's I donated them to the Sacagawea museum. I can go check them out at any time time I want knowing other folks can enjoy them too. Thanks

I grew up in Hollis Alaska, which was a logging camp in the 50s. As kids we use to ride dirt bikes up this old grown in logging road. At the end of it there is a old abandoned Allis Chalmers dozer, with pullies to raise the blade. Pretty cool piece of old equipment. We’d always stop and sit in the seat and pull the levers. I’ll see if I have a pic floating around somewhere.

Back