Old Mcculloch's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh N

Old soul, hard worker.
Reaction score
Hey guys, new here. I'm looking at a pair of saws for $100. Mcculloch mac 6 and Pro Mac 55. Say they need work but start. Good deal or not? Going to be bucking up firewood and farm/land clearing. Been looking for an old mcculloch. Currently have a power mac 310 PIA to fix. Am I asking for the same trouble?

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1949495208422485/

I have no experience with a Mac 6, but do have some 10 series saws including a pm55 I just got running. They are extremely easy to work on and lots of parts interchangeability between the various models.

The pm55 I have is a real nice running saw and cuts very well. I'm impressed with it.

Think it's worth $100 for both? I messaged seller and he says they sound like they want to start but not currently running.

Hey guys, new here. I'm looking at a pair of saws for $100. Mcculloch mac 6 and Pro Mac 55. Say they need work but start. Good deal or not? Going to be bucking up firewood and farm/land clearing. Been looking for an old mcculloch. Currently have a power mac 310 PIA to fix. Am I asking for the same trouble?

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1949495208422485/

Go buy them to PLAY with. (you will enjoy restoring and working on them, get's in your blood)
BUT:
If you need to actually get er dun type of work go buy yourself a good late model work saw and use the old vintage Mac's as a back-up to play with saws after you get enough firewood laid in.
(I'm not going to tell you which make of saw I recommend but I use mostly Stihl's and do my own saw repairs and sharpening)

All good made chainsaws will give good service life with just little bit of PROPER TLC from the operator.

I take my old Mac's to the woodlot, but they are not my immediate go to saws to get a pile of wood cut.:)

I agree with the above. Last weekend I was getting some wood to haul home, stuck my 6401 hard. Out came the pm55 to the rescue. After that I just keep right on cutting with it, cuts great and a lot of fun to use.

I do like how the old mac's never seem to die and that sound. Liven loud!

That little Mac 6 is not worth much and I hear they are difficult to work on (I have never owned one). But the 55 in your pic is really nice. I personally wouldn't pay $100 for them not running but that price is not exorbitant either as the 55 looks to be very lightly used.

The ten series are great saws but do not sell for all that much money because everyone wants orange and red saws. I figure $25-$50 for a 54/57 cc saw in non running condition and $75 for a nice runner. A 70 CC runner goes for around $100. Of course the 80 cc versions go for a lot more but are few and far between.

You guys are awesome. Love you're enthusiasm of the old mcculloch's. Y'all are helpful to me thank you.

The PM 6 is not so bad to work on, just different from the way most saws are put together with the fuel line/nipple in the tank that butts up to the fitting in the carburetor. The PM6 is a great top handle saw for trimming and such, not the first choice for bucking larger stuff. I think they are easier to work on than the 300 Series saws but then again I don't mind working on the 300 saw either. If in fact it is a Mini Mac 6 then it has little value unless you are an extremely patient man. A running Mini Mac is handy for trimming but not a lot beyond that.

The PM55 is a nice little saw and as noted, plenty of parts availability if you need something. I have a 16" bar on mine and really like to way it runs and cuts.

$100 for both is a good deal if they are clean, have good compression, and no broken parts as long as you are handy with whatever repairs may be needed.

Mark

Understand up front that if you have to work on the carburetor on the MM6 you must remove the engine from the housing. On the later MM saws this is not too bad of job but on the MM6 you have to align the fins in the flywheel with the starter "clutch" in order to get the engine out of the housing. This is no simple task.

Mark

Understand up front that if you have to work on the carburetor on the MM6 you must remove the engine from the housing. On the later MM saws this is not too bad of job but on the MM6 you have to align the fins in the flywheel with the starter "clutch" in order to get the engine out of the housing. This is no simple task.

Mark
Mark.. Forgot to mention that you must hold your tongue just right... And be by yourself cuz the language gets gruff.

Mark.. Forgot to mention that you must hold your tongue just right... And be by yourself cuz the language gets gruff.

Just a little hint from experience: about holding tongue just right.
I've never been into one of them type saws, but I understand the holding tongue just right and keep a heads up and don't get to chewing on your tongue and making it sore or creating a bleed.. If you get into that happening remove your teeth or get a piece of old salty leather from a old saddle (get the part where the horse has sweated on it for real good salt content) and chew on that instead of your tongue and the leather will also cut down on curse words coming out.;)

AND
if you don't swallow or eat the piece of salty leather keep it in your toolbox or by the workbench for future Mac/Ford or Poulan projects.

That little Mac 6 is not worth much and I hear they are difficult to work on (I have never owned one). But the 55 in your pic is really nice. I personally wouldn't pay $100 for them not running but that price is not exorbitant either as the 55 looks to be very lightly used.

The ten series are great saws but do not sell for all that much money because everyone wants orange and red saws. I figure $25-$50 for a 54/57 cc saw in non running condition and $75 for a nice runner. A 70 CC runner goes for around $100. Of course the 80 cc versions go for a lot more but are few and far between.
i have a few mac 6s nice little saws not to hard to work on easier than the mini's for sure carb kits are easy to get around 20 bucks pro 55 is one of my favorites lots of power pulls a 28 bar and skip tooth chain really well it would be worth 100 to me just for the 55 the mac 6 is a bonus

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Yeah I love the 55 as well, such a strong little saw. Mine is actually for sale and I've had it listed for a $100 on CL for awhile with no bites. Just dropped it to $80 and it is a really clean example too. I recently picked up a nice 10-10s and can't see the need to keep the 55 around too.

Yeah I love the 55 as well, such a strong little saw. Mine is actually for sale and I've had it listed for a $100 on CL for awhile with no bites. Just dropped it to $80 and it is a really clean example too. I recently picked up a nice 10-10s and can't see the need to keep the 55 around too.
ive got a two 10-10s and one is a speacial edition they dont seem to have the pull the 55 does but mine is a earlier one gave 60 for my mine

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

You still have the 55?
I'll give up the 80 skins right now.

Back