Old Montgomery Ward chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

78dat620

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was given an old orange Montgomery Ward chainsaw and I was wondering if someone could help id it. It’s in rough shape but after a little tinkering I got it to bust off and run a few seconds after squirting some fuel mix through the he carburetor. The badges and decals are mostly long gone except for the badge on the recoil starter which says Lightweight 65cc and on the air filter cover plate it says Montgomery Ward. It has a decent looking 18” bar and chain. I have looked at a lot of forums and on the internet but haven’t seen one just like it. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• CAC74479-2929-4F48-8D92-587DA31EE90D.jpeg
    CAC74479-2929-4F48-8D92-587DA31EE90D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
  • 03B2E587-0C90-4123-BD1E-88623096BF31.jpeg
    03B2E587-0C90-4123-BD1E-88623096BF31.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 984945A3-D08D-4A95-A60F-0D0B2FD8B722.jpeg
    984945A3-D08D-4A95-A60F-0D0B2FD8B722.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 34
  • E4FC26FD-0DC8-49E4-849D-B49FFBB9FEDA.jpeg
    E4FC26FD-0DC8-49E4-849D-B49FFBB9FEDA.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
  • B850CA5B-C376-447C-9CC9-AC00E8ACC912.jpeg
    B850CA5B-C376-447C-9CC9-AC00E8ACC912.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
I just checked Acres site, no mention of a 65, interesting
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf

Years ago I had a Montgomery wards saw, 18" bar, obsolete 7/16 chain, and it had a sizable engine. Not sure what it was, kind of gave it away years ago.
But the thing had BALLS but would vapor lock tighter than a whore in church when hot.

I just checked Acres site, no mention of a 65, interesting
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf

Years ago I had a Montgomery wards saw, 18" bar, obsolete 7/16 chain, and it had a sizable engine. Not sure what it was, kind of gave it away years ago.
But the thing had BALLS but would vapor lock tighter than a whore in church when hot.
Thanks, Patrick. I just posted some pics and maybe someone has seen something like this beast!

I just uploaded some pics and added them to the original thread. I will probably pull the carburetor tomorrow and clean it and try to find a kit for it. I have an ultrasonic cleaner that I can run it through for a cycle or two. I can see that it’s a Tillotson carb, maybe #3?

Pictures would be most helpful

And welcome to The forum!!

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]
Thanks, Usage and Attitude for the warm welcome and help. I went out to the shop and took some pics and uploaded them to the original thread. Maybe someone has seen something like this before!

I was given an old orange Montgomery Ward chainsaw and I was wondering if someone could help id it. It’s in rough shape but after a little tinkering I got it to bust off and run a few seconds after squirting some fuel mix through the he carburetor. The badges and decals are mostly long gone except for the badge on the recoil starter which says Lightweight 65cc and on the air filter cover plate it says Montgomery Ward. It has a decent looking 18” bar and chain. I have looked at a lot of forums and on the internet but haven’t seen one just like it. Thanks for any help.
Same saw as a Remington SL-11 or SL11A. From the Acres site. Mine in pic is 82cc.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...23d3b95e3cbee27f88256d3500205504?OpenDocument
20170513_173714_resized.jpg

Same saw as a Remington SL-11 or SL11A. From the Acres site. Mine in pic is 82cc.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...23d3b95e3cbee27f88256d3500205504?OpenDocument
View attachment 764722
Thanks, Farmer Steve! Your saw is much nicer! I plan to clean the carburetor on this one and try to find a kit for it. What mix do you recommend to run in these? I don’t plan to keep it or cut any wood with it but I do want to get it running good! I will go back and check out the Acres site again.

I have about 50 vintage saws and run Stihl Synthetic at 50:1 in all of them. Some are old enough that they call for 16:1, I think I had an old Homelite that said 8:1 on it, but I traded that one long ago, and never got it running. I think the consensus is the only mix NOT to run is 0:1. Welcome aboard.

I have about 50 vintage saws and run Stihl Synthetic at 50:1 in all of them. Some are old enough that they call for 16:1, I think I had an old Homelite that said 8:1 on it, but I traded that one long ago, and never got it running. I think the consensus is the only mix NOT to run is 0:1. Welcome aboard.
Thanks, Rarefish and thanks for the welcome! I’ve been a lurker for some time and registered for awhile but thought I should jump in and say thanks to everyone who takes time to share their knowledge and experience with rookies like me! I am a retired machinist and out of boredom, a few years ago, began repairing lawn equipment and small engines. Because we live in a small town and there are very few small engine shops left, I am now overwhelmed with work! But it’s a labor of love and exercise for the old noggin!

Oil thread!!:laughing: Hi Joe.:hi:

Thanks, Farmer Steve! Your saw is much nicer! I plan to clean the carburetor on this one and try to find a kit for it. What mix do you recommend to run in these? I don’t plan to keep it or cut any wood with it but I do want to get it running good! I will go back and check out the Acres site again.
I guess depends on what oil you are using. Maybe start out a little heavy and go from there. You'll be surprised once you get it running how good they cut. @67L36Driver is a wealth of info on these saws. He has helped me out a ton.

I guess depends on what oil you are using. Maybe start out a little heavy and go from there. You'll be surprised once you get it running how good they cut. @67L36Driver is a wealth of info on these saws. He has helped me out a ton.
Thanks Farmer Steve. I pulled the carburetor today but haven’t opened it up yet. It’s a Tillotson HS-108B and looks like the kit is RK-23HS. I ordered a kit and can’t wait to see how this old Monkey Ward growls!

Similar, different color....
The fuel tank has a common wall with the crankshaft like mine did. The fuel line runs down and back up to the carburetor box... I ran the thing for 10 years from about 1990 to about 2000 or so, if I did not turn it off it would keep running, but once shut down... it BOILED the fuel.

I do think my saw was a bit bigger than 65cc, and the aforementioned 82 sounds about right. It would pull the bar buried in wood. Had a unique throaty sound to it as well.

Similar, different color....
The fuel tank has a common wall with the crankshaft like mine did. The fuel line runs down and back up to the carburetor box... I ran the thing for 10 years from about 1990 to about 2000 or so, if I did not turn it off it would keep running, but once shut down... it BOILED the fuel.

I do think my saw was a bit bigger than 65cc, and the aforementioned 82 sounds about right. It would pull the bar buried in wood. Had a unique throaty sound to it as well.
Thanks, Patrick! I have read other accounts of this same problem of vapor locking with these designs. I don’t plan to do much cutting with it but I do want to hear it run and maybe cut a disc or two with it. There is a young guy that lives nearby that does lots of arborist work and he has already said that he would love to have it when I get done with it! I have repaired some saws for him in the past and he collects vintage saws. I sold him a Pro Mac 55 not long ago that I had resurrected from the dead! I told him he could have this one for the price of the carb kit ($8) after I am done with it! I just love bringing these old saws back to life!

Back