Old Muscle, Your Favourite Sounding Chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi chaps,

What’s your favourite sounding chainsaw? I started up my Stihl 07 (late 50’s saw) and i never tire of hearing it idle. Even though I have an 076 Super, the 07 (46cc’s less) it just sounds so much nicer.

07:

076 super:

What’s your favourite sounding saw? Add some links to videos if you can.

Do I have to own it?

out of the ones I own, probably my 661.

out of the ones I have run, an old ported mac sp125.
The "crack" on opening up the trtottle was amazing, and it sounded huge, and yet ferocious:)
I wouldn't want to run it every day though.
That saw was unpleasant in vibes & weight, just sheer size.

Do I have to own it?

out of the ones I own, probably my 661.

out of the ones I have run, an old ported mac sp125.
The "crack" on opening up the trtottle was amazing, and it sounded huge, and yet ferocious:)
I wouldn't want to run it every day though.
That saw was unpleasant in vibes & weight, just sheer size.
Nope no need to own or even have run it, I just want to hear some sick saws haha.

I will admit, the sound of the 661 is not that aggressive, or really that special.
I have a couple other smaller saws that sound amazing from a performance perspective & just hearing them when well tuned is pleasing.
From experience with ported bikes & snowmobiles there's a certain quality to the sound of a well tuned, designed & maintained machine that is just so sexxy.
the 661 just has a pleasant rumble to it I never seem to get tired of:)

I think my Remington Super 75 is the
"loudest" saw I own. Maybe not the loudest but definitely something about the pitch that actually hurts my ears, I had to put ear pro on.

c070e4c2becbf5c75cba76c7b3bffa23.jpg

Homelite enthusiast in training.
d16d01e5b1bb4110a828da3838b9a9f1.jpg

am i the only one that turns on the ytube, finds a chainsaw vid, and just lets the tv run while I putter around the house - not watching, just having the sound of saws filling up half the house? Weird.

i like the sound of my little muffler-modded dolly ps420 idling. It sounds like a bigger saw.

Big cube old reed valve saws sound powerful but for me it will always be the Pioneer 600 turning a fantastic 1,100 rpm.at idle.
Trying to find a video of one on YouTube that is tuned nicely and has a slow enough idle, no luck so far! If you have one do upload it Jerry, I’d love to hear it.

Trying to find a video of one on YouTube that is tuned nicely and has a slow enough idle, no luck so far! If you have one do upload it Jerry, I’d love to hear it.
Not a video guy Tom. A 600 has to be in top shape all round, one of mine has been idled down to 850 on occasion and it is litterally hopping about, bounces right up off the bench top and rattles every tool or part on the bench. That heavy reciprocating assembly has a good deal of momentum , I havn`t come across another saw that could do it.

Not a video guy Tom. A 600 has to be in top shape all round, one of mine has been idled down to 850 on occasion and it is litterally hopping about, bounces right up off the bench top and rattles every tool or part on the bench. That heavy reciprocating assembly has a good deal of momentum , I havn`t come across another saw that could do it.
Unreal, how I’d love to see that! I wonder how low I could get the 076 super, I’d guess 1500 ish? It’s currently 1800-2000 and sits there happily, but never tried to bring it right down.

Husqvarna 288 XP; ported; gutted, dual port muffler.
When I lived and worked in Jackson Hole, Wyoming, friends who knew saws would call me later in the work day with a report of hearing my 288s.
It would go something like, "OMG Watson, we were on the opposite side of town and we could hear that beast of yours today, and could tell by the sound that it was you!"

Back