Old ReGrowth Red Maple

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PinkFloydEffect

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Welcome back, may you continue the training young "Jedi" arborist.
Patience and care will grow your skills slowly and wise, akin to your trees.

Moved that blue truck yet??

I most certainly will be hard to get rid of. I'm trying to have patience but growing skills is like growing a tree it takes forever.

That Fing truck I hope it DOES fall on it so I can say "well gramps looks like you should have split the cost of an Arborist with me but no0O0oO"

When I was your age I removed a 200 year old Red gum over a playground for I thought "wrongly" that a base trunk wound with some decay would condemn the tree, its failure would be tragic.
I was told decay = bad & fruiting bodies = real bad, my little knowledge was a dangerous thing.
I felled it to find the decay was just 1 inch deep and the tree had well "Codit" walled it up.
This tree I regret would still be there and easily out live myself and my children.
In this trade, as in many Primum non nocere "First, do no harm." will guide your hand before you raise it.

Tell old gramps to save his truck he may buy you a tree harness and rope for Chrissy.

When I was your age I removed a 200 year old Red gum over a playground for I thought "wrongly" that a base trunk wound with some decay would condemn the tree, its failure would be tragic.
I was told decay = bad & fruiting bodies = real bad, my little knowledge was a dangerous thing.
I felled it to find the decay was just 1 inch deep and the tree had well "Codit" walled it up.
This tree I regret would still be there and easily out live myself and my children.
In this trade, as in many Primum non nocere "First, do no harm." will guide your hand before you raise it.

Great story :)

Tell old gramps to save his truck he may buy you a tree harness and rope for Chrissy.

I'm telling you haha his heads as thick as this tree (or not?) He won't buy me that unless he knows I saved him and he doesn't know I saved him until he realizes the trees stabilization and we don't know that because he won't pay an Arborist so screwem' plus this tree really aint going anywhere anytime soon, it's as solid as a rock. PS- That truck is under the other tree on another thread now

Before I name this tree "Big Red" it would be nice to 101% be sure its a RED maple. Here's some bark pictures and pictures of the buds on a branch at ground level. The buds much higher are much larger and redder in color. See attachments:

Help

Another member of this site is generously going to do some work for a decent price on this tree, BUT I have another problem. I HATE to say it but my grandmother is kind of an A##H### and is going to try to split the property up and sell the piece with this tree on it to extend the neighbors lot WHEN the neighbor sell their house. Hopefully it will take the neighbor longer to sell it then it will for my grandmothers time to have come (I'm going to hell I'm going to hell I'm going to hell) is there anything I can do to stop her legally from splitting it up IF and when the forestry department comes out and measures it as they said they are going to in an email (they claim its a possible RED Maple MA state champion tree)

Not to pee in your cheerios, but that tree looks neither like a height or diameter champ based on your photos. There are red maples out in W. Mass here that push almost 130' in height in the Berkshires and I believe Mt. Tom area near Holyoke. Its a decent size in girth, but I wouldnt guess it to be anywhere near the largest.

Best you can do is be vocal about it, if and when the lot gets split and sold off, cross your fingers for some responsible land owners and hope they have a smidge of interest in trees for maybe they can be reasoned with and have the tree maintained properly. Best of luck.

Not to pee in your cheerios, but that tree looks neither like a height or diameter champ based on your photos. There are red maples out in W. Mass here that push almost 130' in height in the Berkshires and I believe Mt. Tom area near Holyoke. Its a decent size in girth, but I wouldnt guess it to be anywhere near the largest.

Best you can do is be vocal about it, if and when the lot gets split and sold off, cross your fingers for some responsible land owners and hope they have a smidge of interest in trees for maybe they can be reasoned with and have the tree maintained properly. Best of luck.

Oh, Thanks! I'm guna be all over the new owners with my documentation of the work I've done, at the least pity will get them.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Since Jeff allready ruined your Cheerios, I'm goin after your Wheaties. I didn't look at both vids, but the tree in the first one doesn't look all that big. We all have favorite trees that we would like to save and the effort in rescueing them is worth it. Here's one I had to take down a couple years ago. One lead had broken off the summer before and the big lead going over the house and wires was cracking, so the whole thing had to come down. It would take at least 3 men to reach around the base and this is no where near the biggest one around. It took a 50 ton crain 3 1/2 hours, including set up, to put this one on the ground, Joe.
crazysummer08129.jpg

crazysummer08131.jpg

Well I'm rooting for the bigger tree, after-all it IS a Red. Amazing photos, that tree looks like you need 5 people to get around the base. Was it a red? And was that a regrowth from stump tree?

Actually, that row of trees were planted when the house was built. It was a big old Silver Maple. They do get a bit bigger than the Reds. At the time the home owner only wanted me to take it down to the main trunk. So I left a ten foot high monolith standing there. He just asked me to take down the stump this spring. I might try to mill some boards out of it. Pending on how much rot and dirt are in it, Joe.

Actually, that row of trees were planted when the house was built. It was a big old Silver Maple. They do get a bit bigger than the Reds. At the time the home owner only wanted me to take it down to the main trunk. So I left a ten foot high monolith standing there. He just asked me to take down the stump this spring. I might try to mill some boards out of it. Pending on how much rot and dirt are in it, Joe.

Amazing, any other photos will be very welcome. Such a nice tree.

Before I name this tree "Big Red" it would be nice to 101% be sure its a RED maple. Here's some bark pictures and pictures of the buds on a branch at ground level. The buds much higher are much larger and redder in color. See attachments:

Looks like a red maple if I ever seen one man, barks not quite right to be a silver. Plus that secondary leader shooting off in the background looks more characteristic of a red than silver.

It's tough, they crossbreed readily. I often need leaves and samara to tell the difference. On real pure reds the twigs are redder and so with the buds. I have a buddy who feels strongly that the reds are a cross between silver and sugar.

It's tough, they crossbreed readily. I often need leaves and samara to tell the difference. On real pure reds the twigs are redder and so with the buds. I have a buddy who feels strongly that the reds are a cross between silver and sugar.

The tips of the tree way up seem visibly red from the ground.

Are you talking about reds in general or my reds? (being a cross)

Acer rubrum in general

Select Acer rubrum cultivars

Armstrong
50 to 70' by 15' Columnar to fastigate Upright, silvery gray bark; modest orange red fall color
Autumn Flame 55' by 45' Broadly rounded when young Rapid grower; bright red fall color; develops color early; smaller leaves than species
Autumn Radiance 60' Broadly oval; dense Orange red fall color
Autumn Blaze 50' by 40' Oval rounded with ascending branches 5 lobes resembling silver maple; excellent orange red fall color that holds well; one of the best red maples for fall color
Bowhall 50' by 15 to 30' Conical to upright Yellowish red fall color
Burgundy Belle 45' by 35' Compact oval to rounded Very uniform shape; intense , long lasting red to burgundy fall color
Columnar 70' by 15' Narrow columnar to pyramidal Dark green leaves in summer; orange to deep red fall color
Gerling
Northwood 40' by 35' Rounded oval crown; 45 degree branches Dark green in summer; orange red fall color; not as good fall color as some other cultivars
October Brilliance 40' by 30' Tight crown Red fall color; slow to leaf out in spring
October Glory 40 to 60' by 50' Rounded oval Lustrous dark green in summer; intense red to orange fall color; late to develop; excellent color for the south
Red Sunset 60' by 50' Upright Thrives in heat; drought tolerant; brilliant orange red fall color; vigorous, rapid grower
Scarlet Sentinel 50' by 25' Columnar to oval rounded Rapid grower; yellow orange to orange red fall color; 5 lobes - resembling silver maple
Schlesingeri 60 to 70' Broad Rapid grower; rich red to reddish purple fall color; develops color early and holds for long time
Shade King 50' by 40' Upright oval Dark green summer color; red to orange fall color; rapid grower
V.J. Drake 50' Outside of leaf colors deep red and progresses towards center of leaf

Last edited:
Back