Old saws fastest cutter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KASH

ArboristSite Guru
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Thought I would ask your opinions on the following saws.
Mac Pro Mac 700
Jonsered 670
Husqvarna 266xp
Stihl 038 mag
Partner P70
I have each of these saws I call them my new saws I realize they are dinasors to most people.A lot of you guys have run some and maybe all of them.
So I thought I would have a poll rate them fastest to slowest.
All saws are stock 7 pin sprockets same chains sharpened by the same guy and saw tuned by the same guy
Saws have 16 inch bars and the test log is 14 inch hardwood.
Kash

Mac Pro Mac 700
Jonsered 670
Husqvarna 266xp
Stihl 038 mag
Partner P70
I have each of these saws I call them my new saws I realize they are dinasors to most people.A lot of you guys have run some and maybe all of them.
All saws are stock 7 pin sprockets same chains sharpened by the same guy and saw tuned by the same guy
Kash
#1 and #2= 670 or 266, depends on the 670 model
#3 and #4=038 or P70, depends on the P70 cylinder, some cylinders seem to have a good bit more zoom.
#5=700

Doug I agree on the 266 I have two a 266se and a 266xp dont see much difference in cutting speed btwn the two.My first and only saw I ever bought brand new when I started to cut pulp wood in 1979 was a Husky 162se great saw I will never part with it .
so how do think the 266 would do in cutting speed against the other four saws.

Doug I agree on the 266 I have two a 266se and a 266xp dont see much difference in cutting speed btwn the two.My first and only saw I ever bought brand new when I started to cut pulp wood in 1979 was a Husky 162se great saw I will never part with it .
so how do think the 266 would do in cutting speed against the other four saws.

I can’t compare any of the others from Experience, but I have Never been Disappointed with my 266XP, either in regards to Performance or Reliability, it has been a Dead Reliable Performer for Me

Don’t ever expect to see a “For Sale” sign on that saw, it will either be passed on to a Step Son or Nephew, or end up Six Feet under, right next to me

Doug :cheers:

Homelite Super 1050 spinning 6-7,000 rpm might not be the fastest kid on the block, but with 404 chain it takes one hell of a big bite, and can cut as fast as some newer saws spinning 3/8 at a lot more rpm.

Agreed, My old 1050 super with 404 in Aussie hard hardly even bogs down in the cut, just an animal, great old saws.

Mac Pro Mac 700
Jonsered 670
Husqvarna 266xp
Stihl 038 mag
Partner P70
Kash
How would a Pioneer P42 or P45 compare with these saws.

How would a Pioneer P42 or P45 compare with these saws.

They would compare very favorably. The whole concept of 65-70cc saws running 16" bars in 14" wood to me is ridiculous . If one cuts 1/2 second faster who cares? Putting 28" bars on them in a piece of like size hardwood will show which one really has the balls or not. In that situation, the Pioneers you listed would probably rule, with the 038 Mag being the only one to give a challenge. That is unless you threw a Poulan 4200 in the mix..

Back