Old saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOWC

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
This may sound like a crazy question but here it goes should I bother running my old saws or just my new ones. I have quite a few new saws jonsereds, stihl, Husqvarna, echo and quite a few old ones mcculloch, jonsereds, Sachs DOLMAR. I cut a fair amount of firewood per year for myself and family but thought about cutting some to sell also. I just can't seem to break the new saws till all the old ones are worn out, but at the rate I'm going I will wear out before all the saws and never run the new saws. Have a few jonsereds 70, 80, 820, 930, 3- 49sp I want to run them but parts are hard to get if they break down. Any useful thoughts are appreciated

All my firewood is a byproduct of maintenance. And I've got way more saws than I need.

A bunch of old top handles never get used because the new 2511T is the best thing since sliced bread.

But for my small rear handle saw, I find myself using the old Echo CS-346 because I like it's reed valve powerband....and it weighs 7 pounds.

Then I use the new CS-490 if I need something a little bit bigger because it starts so easy. But now am thinking about selling it and finally getting a new spur sprocket, bar and chain for the old Dolmar 421.

When I need a bigger saw, all I have is old saws. The 372 is what gets used because it starts easy, has plenty of power, a longish bar, and isn't too heavy.

I should probably just sell all the rest.

But keep my lightest 60cc, the Poulan 3500.
And keep the old Stihl 009L for nostalgia...and it has a new bar and chain.

And keep the little Homelite XL2 automatic just because, even though I'll never use it. I like it's shiny red paint job and it looks good on the shelf.

This was probably no help at all.

I cut 90 percent of my wood with old Mac's and a poulan 4000. The new saw is a husky 350 and it sometimes gets used. I'm cutting probably 150 meters a year at the moment 24ton of logs per year for a friend and firewood for sale and 5 or so families within the circle. All on saws pre 1980 and I'm 32. The new stuff just doesn't interest me I will move on to 90s stuff eventually to save my old saws but there still old saws I cut for fun the sale part is to fund the saws lol what's not to love about using a 49 year old mac 7-10 that vibrates and sounds like a dirt bike.

American muscle I say.

No help eather hahaha

I can't be much help except to say the Echo 346 is still the first saw I reach for unless its pretty sizeable. Wish I could find a new one at a realistic price. Think I'll fire up one of the 49SP's soon.....really miss using that saw.

I love my older saws also but don't run anything without antivibe my elbow doesn't like it. Something about the sound of a pro Mac 850 though or a 650 been cutting with a eb 3.7 since I was a kid still runs too, I would like to use my jonsereds but if I use them they will be worth less then if I decide to sell them

Yep.
I'm on injured reserve, and have to keep to level ground these days, but still love to play with chainsaws.
Yep. Waiting for parts sucks.
Especially since my favorite saw guy turned 75 and decided to retire. Internet, now. The lawnmower shops don't want to see me.

I have been known to obsess over a foolish goal of dredging the last cough out of an aging piece of equipment. Expending ridiculous effort, rather than using the brand-new tool I bought to have ready...

Keep on, guys. Kiss the grandkids and throw a stick for the dog.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

I use my old vs new saws about 50/50. At home playing in the wood pile I just rotate through all my saws with maybe a touch more use of the vintage stuff. If I have an issue with an old saw I just walk in shop and grab another.

When I'm out wood collecting I tend to lean more towards the new saws, but still bring a vintage saw along typically. I just wanna get the wood in the truck and get home though....hence the edge towards newer/quicker saws.

Back