Old school transition help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielSchierbaum

Reaction score
Hello all, I have been messing around with tree work off and on for about 8 years, I learned from an old school guy who used a new england rope and an old Buckingham belt with the webbing type seat. I bought the same equipment (used at a pawn shop, insert all the obvious comments lol), and I've grown tired of using it. Recently bought the tree motion evo and have yet to get the feel for it, haven't used it yet. He taught me a variation on the Blake's hitch I suppose, 3 under and two over, using no carabiner or prusik cord at all, just throw your rope over a tip and run the end through both d rings. I forget what knot he used to terminate movement, I use an anchor hitch usually but I've noticed it does give and move around a bit. Leaving enough tail to then pass around the moving side of the line, three under then two over and tie it off with a figure 8 (also moves and causes binding). It has worked for me every time and I don't worry about trusting it, but I'm guessing there is a reason climbing systems are much more advanced now and would like to expand my abilities. I detailed everything so that those more educated may know a good entry level gear list to guide me to that will be familiar to me based on what I have done so far, any input will be greatly appreciated

Back