Old school wood burning stoves

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We heat 1200sq ft with this Elmira. And occasionally use the oven, always use the top for cooking.
Guess it’s not really old though!
Had a water jacket heating the basement floor for a while, it did work but was not really safe or totally fool proof (no gen back up power for the circ pump or well water to keep it filled if it needed it)

Attachments

• 4EB2C328-D31F-4EA3-AE60-C6B18FC80029.jpeg
    4EB2C328-D31F-4EA3-AE60-C6B18FC80029.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 20
We bought our (approx 1979 model) Woodstock Soapstone stove 10 years ago on Craigslist for $200, cleaned it up, re-painted the frame, re-grouted the stone inside, and have been using it for 10 years to heat 2400 sq ft.

c2a9fcbda29dcc91ab3ed9c1d36b8caf.jpg

We bought our (approx 1979 model) Woodstock Soapstone stove 10 years ago on Craigslist for $200, cleaned it up, re-painted the frame, re-grouted the stone inside, and have been using it for 10 years to heat 2400 sq ft.

c2a9fcbda29dcc91ab3ed9c1d36b8caf.jpg
That looks nice! I’ve always wondered how the heat was from a soapstone stove, but the timing has never been right to get one!

That looks nice! I’ve always wondered how the heat was from a soapstone stove, but the timing has never been right to get one!

We love it. I grew up with a welded steel Glacier Bay stove (in the basement, and which my mom still uses), and the heat from the soapstone is much more even/less intense and lasts a while when the fire dies out.

Man been a while since I’ve been on here. This is what is in the house we just moved into. Sure eats a lot of wood.

edit: it’s a Big Moe all nighter model. Will take 28” logs. Very well built stove. Much better than my Vermont Dutch west I had. Even if it does eat more wood.

If it doesn't have one, some people have modified that type stove with a heavy steel baffle plate located just above the door. The intent to create an S-flow across the wood and prevent heat from zipping straight up the chimney.
Also, if that's a circulating pump for your water system maybe consider putting a metal storage tank near the stove.
This won't gain any additional heat, just distribute it better through the house.

Not certain where to post this but the administration just signed into tax law a new federal tax credit for wood and pellet stoves. Past credits had some upper limits, which this does not. This covers stove, venting, labor for install etc. and it is 26% of what you pay. It's not a tax deduction, but an actual credit! 40% of current products qualify at 75%HHV efficiency. This pdf has all the details. So if you have wanted a new wood or pellet heater...this may be helpful.

Attachments

• Wood_and_Pellet_ITC_Consumer_2021_1.pdf
    725.1 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back